Sunday, February 9, 2014

At the Quilt Show . . .

On Saturday, several friends and I went to the Folsom quilt show--it's always a favorite, and since it's the first quilt show after the holiday season in our area, quilters seem anxious to see some quilts and visit some vendors.

Oddly enough, I was talking to a fiber embellishment vendor, and when she gave me her business card, I realized she had been my law office administrator about 30 years ago--needless to say, we've both changed a bit since that time!  It seems that every now and then, things happen to remind us what a small world we live in!

I took some photos of quilts to share with you.  The lighting wasn't great because it was a rainy, gloomy day out, but I think you can see these well enough.

First up is an applique quilt that the quilt-maker titled Birds in the Garden.  Do any of you recognize this pattern?  [ADDENDUM:  It's Birdsong by Jan Patek.]  My friends and I are interested in making this one, but when I did an online search last night, nothing turned up.  I suspect it's from a book since I didn't turn up a stand-alone pattern, but I have no idea, really, where it came from.


I had to take a photo of this "friend" since I spent some time appliqueing this same Bunny Hill pattern, Merry, Merry Snowmen, last year.  It's nice to see one completed!


And another old, familiar friend!  Shabby Fabric's Country Cottages free BOM from 2012.  The quilt-maker used a lot of beads and embroidery as embellishment and it looked terrific! [ADDENDUM:  After writing this, I learned the same quilt maker made the Merry, Merry Snowmen quilt too.]


Following along the same monthly BOM type of layout was this  wonderful cat quilt--the blocks for March, April, and October are particularly fun, aren't they?  [ADDENDUM:  This quilt is called 9 Lives Plus 3.]


 This feathered star quilt caught my eye from across the room.  When I got closer, I noticed that all of the stars' "feathers" are actually machine embroidery rather than pieced triangles.


I always particularly admire the hand-embroidered quilts.  This pattern is by Crabapple Hill and is called Snowmen A to Zzzz.  (Crabapple Hill has a sale going on until February 14th--25% off!)


I'm not much of an art quilter myself, but I can appreciate the beauty of some of the designs people come up with and execute, and this is one that I thought was pretty excellent.


And as far as the quilting itself is concerned?  Take a look at this masterpiece!  Another woman was admiring this one when I walked up, and she told me she had placed one of her quilts with this quilter, and now she's very excited to see how it turns out.  I agree; I'd be excited too!


And here's something for my scrappy peeps!  A beautiful basket quilt with a bit of applique added--but not too much.  Mostly this quilt relies on the scrappy baskets.


Speaking of scrappy quilts, at quilt shows, there's often a stack of second hand magazines and books for sale, and this was no exception.  I came home with about a dozen older magazines that I paged through last night.  The cover quilt below caught my attention as a good idea for a scrappy quilt, and I'm going to keep the pattern with my other scrappy ideas.


Today, of course, is Scrap Basket Sunday--if you've been working on a scrappy project and are ready to share it with us on your blog, please link up below.  I think I'll spend part of the day quilting my Pie in the Sky quilt that I pinned last Sunday.  How about you?


12 comments:

Aunt Marti said...

Kim, I wish I could come and go to the quilt show with you -- and not just because it's 21F in Colorado Springs!

Mary said...

The pattern is called Birdsong by Jan Patek. A gorgeous quilt. Hope that helps.

Loves to Quilt said...

I sort of ran out of some color scraps but haven't decided yet if I am finished with my scrappy quilt. Maybe, it just needs some borders??

Christine said...

Mary beat me to it.....After much digging I found that pattern too. It is a 2003 leaflet , So much prettier in pinks!!! I love it! Thanks for sharing!
christine

Bowbailey said...

The scrappy baskets is a Laundry Baskets pattern. I haven't made it yet, but this gives a whole new look compared to the pattern cover. Thanks for the photos

Janet said...

Thanks for sharing those pics - I'm just wild about that cat quilt - any idea of the designer? I tried every internet search trick I know and came up with dozens and dozens of cat quilts, but not THAT one.

Because I need another project ...

Missie of Traditional Primitives said...

Looks like a great show! That first quilt looks like it has Jan Patek elements. I bet you could take a look at some of her web site pictures to see.

Nancie Anne Quilts said...

Yay! I was hoping someone would post pictures from the Folsom Show! Thank You! (I love the scrappy basket quilt!)

KMSC said...

Thanks for the quilt show pictures. Quilt shows are always so inspiring.

Me and My Stitches said...

Great quilts - thanks for sharing! Love the funky cats, each block made me chuckle. And the machine quilting on the large star? WOW!!! The basket quilt is more "me" - love the applique - just perfect!

Narelle said...

Lovely pics to share.
I only managed to find and lay out my completed scrappy blocks ... maybe sewing this Sunday? :)

Rebecca said...

I hunted down the "9 Lives Plus 3", and it looks like you photographed the designer's quilt (especially as she [Grannie G] is in Greenwood, CA). I like the design, but $9.50 a month?