Monday, December 8, 2008

He's Making a List, He's Checking it Twice . . .


I had an "ah ha!" moment over the weekend when I figured out how I could make a quick little Christmas wallhanging to hang at my desk at work. I thought I'd share with you the steps to make this little guy or something similar in case you'd like to adapt it for a project of your own.

Santa was a little quilt-as-you-go project using wool. I don't do much fusible applique, but I'm sure you could do the same thing with fusible or a combination of both--I like the dimension the wool gives it.

First, I picked one block pattern from a larger applique pattern I liked. I figured out how large the applique block would be and then I added 6" to the length and width of the block to allow room for a 3" border. I then cut my backing and batting to that finished size or a little larger so it could be trimmed later.

I cut the background for the applique block to the correct size and centered it on the batting/backing. I used quilt pins to secure the layers.


I cut the wool pieces and laid them out to check placement.


Once I liked where everything was, I repinned the layers with the wool. (Note--for the face, I used regular cotton and fused it in the correct position before pinning the rest.)


Next, I sewed down all the wool pieces, using thread to match the wool so the stitching didn't stand out.


And here's the basic Santa with the pieces all sewn in place.


Next, I needed to add the borders. Because I couldn't trim up the piece since it was already layered, I drew pencil lines where I'd normally have cut. I could then use the pencil line to line up with the raw edge of the border strips. I know the photo's a little "fuzzy" but I wanted to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.


The first set of borders were cut 3" by the width of the center block. With "good" side of the fabric down, I lined the edge of the border strip up with the pencil line and sewed the seam, sewing through all layers. I did the same with the opposite border, and I pressed them "open."


I then measured the new length of the block with the borders added and cut the next two border strips. I sewed them as I did the others and pressed them back. Now I had my wallhanging--the center block with borders all around.


Here's what the quilting on the back looked like at that point.


Next, I decided to add a little extra quilting for texture.


After that, I just trimmed up the borders and bound the quilt. After the addition of a couple holly leaves in the corner and some buttons for berries and eyes, the project was done!


I hope you enjoyed your weekend as much as I did mine! Thanks for stopping in to visit.


ADDENDUM--NOVEMBER 30, 2011: The pattern I used for this applique is a Country Faces pattern called Christmas Sampler. You can find it HERE--really a cute design.

34 comments:

Anne said...

Darling project and great tutorial. You're gonna make a great teacher!

tami said...

Great project. He is adorable.

Unknown said...

So cute, Kim, Yes, that should get lots of comments at work. Good Job.

Pat said...

Cute, Cute Cute!!!!!!!

Robin said...

Toooo cute! I just love the method, too!!!

QuiltingFitzy said...

Your "AHA" = my "OMG"!

This is WAY cute, thanks for the tutorial, I've a snowman in mind.

Yes, you'll make a fantastic teacher.

ranette said...

How fun!!! You just have the best ideas! Santa is really cute, I may have to make one.

Penni Domikis said...

This is the cutest Santa. I think I may have to make this one too. What a great look. I really like that you made it a quilt as you go project. I will have to get caught up on posting today because you will die at what's been going on around here. Have something important to do this morning but hope to get caught up by this afternoon. Back to the grind.

Vicki W said...

Absolutely adorable!

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Awesome! Maybe someday I won't be so scared to start a project like this and I'll make one for myself. Too cute!

Jen :)

Unknown said...

How creative you are! I love it. It makes me want to run home and make one. Oh but wait I'm stuck here at work! UGH! A great tutorial too. Thanks for sharing.
Christy

MichelleB said...

Aren't you the clever one! My goodness, Kim, it's wonderful. What a fabulous way to do it. And it's absolutely darling.

Anonymous said...

Your talent continues to amaze me. santa is so cute. This makes me sure your classes will be a big success.to bad Indiana is so far away.

Linda Z

Suzanne Kistler said...

Everyday I pop in to see just what you are up to. Your energy is infective (it's a good thing) and I find that I want to get right on my decorating or quilting or whatever. Thank you for sharing!!

Tamara said...

Oh Kim you did it again. I just love your quick little tutorial. Can a person use felt instead of Wool and get the same effect? My wool allergy and using my hands would make for a painful experience. Thanks for the inspiration.

julia said...

Cute, cute...and...did I say cute? Thanks for sharing, it's a great little wallhanging!

Anonymous said...

You are so crafty! I mean that in a good way. Your Santa quilt is adorable!

Lizzie

Busy Little Quilter said...

How adorable! I am in the process of making a quilt as you go tablerunner. I love those quilt at you go projects!

Thanks for sharing! I've never done quilt as you go with applique. I love the idea! Great tutorial!

Queenly Things said...

Wow!!! That's all I can say - Wow!!!

Love the new blog look as well!

Shirley--Knot-y Embroidery Lady said...

Hell-0, Hell-0 (British accent)

Where on your desk are you going to display this santa of wonder?
Well done, amazing and I feel so good looking at your work.
You have started me looking over all the wool around my home in a different way. ie dragging back out of a donation bags that I keep going, and for items still around the house, "Oh, that might look interesting felted."

Sung to that country western tune, "I see the li-i-ght. I see the li-i-ght."

Kim West said...

how cute!!!

Yvonne said...

That is really cute! You're so clever. :)

Anonymous said...

That's really cute, you sure can whip stuff out fast!

Jessica White said...

What a great wall hanging!

Lisa said...

Hi Kim! I absolutely love your blog and wanted to let you know that I've nominated you for the Kreative Blogger Awared. You can find the details on my blog :O)

Sharon said...

So cute. Thanks for the lesson I think I could even do this. You never cease to amaze me.

Sharon

Judy said...

Very cool and fun!

Anonymous said...

Oh goodness! That is so cute. What santa pattern did you use. I think I need to make one.

julieQ said...

Darling project, and a great tutorial. Thank you sharing your bright eyed Santa!

Sherry said...

How cool is that! Thanks Kim for sharing this great tutorial with us. Your Santa is adorable.

QuiltNut Creations said...

fantastic! he is so cute!

Lynn Douglass said...

This is just too cute! I'm definitely going to have to make one. Maybe I'll make a couple! Thank you for sharing!

SandyQuilts said...

adorable and thank you

Unknown said...

Hi Kim ...I found your blog and I just love you wool santa. I tried to find the link for the pattern but couldn't find it. Do you know how I could get the link for the pattern? This pattern is calling to me and I really want to make it. Thank you very much. Marhta