Sunday, August 11, 2013

Just Can't Cut It

Usually when we say we just can't cut it--in speaking of quilting at any rate--we mean the fabric's so pretty we hate to cut into it.  Not this time.  This time, I mean it literally.

I didn't tell you before, but CrossFit killed me again on Thursday night.  Or perhaps killing me in actuality would have been more merciful.  Do you know what planks are when it comes to exercise?  Well, they're like this:

That's one of the exercises we had to do and I really think it's the one that did me in.  Thursday night's exercise routine focused mostly on upper body strength.  With planks, I asked the trainer if I could just lay on my stomach on the mat because I was pretty sure that when I was on my toes, my stomach would still be on the floor, but he said no.  So up I went on toes and forearms and held that position as long as possible.  Yes, it looks reasonably easy, but you try it.  I did that a couple times.  I also pulled a pile of weights around the room.  Then I did something with a thick rope that looked like I was at one end of double jump ropes but I just whipped them up and down.  There were also bar push ups and ring pull ups and several other things along similar lines that I'd just as soon forget about until next week when I have to do them again.

It's just as well I've been trying to diet also because on Friday, I couldn't lift a fork or spoon to my lips.  And when I tried, it took me several minutes to get my hands high enough to brush my hair away from my face.  Trying to reach back to grab my seat belt in the car was enough to make me think seriously about walking the 12 miles to and from work.  In fact, walking might have been quicker.

By Saturday, I could move my arms a little further, but they were still pretty achy.  Tonight, though--Saturday night--they're finally returning to near normal and I'm looking forward to being able to sleep without screaming in pain every time I turn over.

So, anyway, what I'm getting to is that as much as I wanted to cut a bunch of 2-1/2" squares today for my Scrap Basket Sunday project, it was a little hard to do up until just a couple hours ago, so I didn't get very much done, really--not as much as I would have liked, anyway.


I have 150 squares cut but I'll need somewhere around 900 to 1,000 squares for the sashing, I think, so this is going to take a little time.  On Friday, I believed a double arm amputation would be less painful than what I was experiencing, but now I'm glad I put away the power saw because I'm hopeful my arms will feel well enough tomorrow to get more squares cut.

How are you doing with your scrap basket project?  Don't forget to link up if you write a post about your project and progress.

8 comments:

Kim said...

I'm impressed that you are trying this Crossfit thing! It's just the type of thing I need(along with a diet) but I'm pretty sure I couldn't cut it! They obviously dont change things up for a mature woman. I look forward to hearing more as you continue.

Josie McRazie said...

Oh Kim! (SMH) you crack me up! I have a love hate relationship with planks! And for that matter with any upper body workout in general! I guess I would rather not be able to walk than not be able to dress myself! Keep going! You are doing great!

Cathy said...

Are you sure it is called Crossfit, not Marine Boot Camp? Sounds tough. I'm clearly too easy on myself at the gym. Instead of calling it "cutting fabric," let's call it "Rotary Workout." I think I'll trademark that and put out a video.

Patti said...

Sounds to me like you might be pushing this a bit too far to fast. I don't think your instructor is familiar with the word "moderation". The exercises the physical therapist gave me for my back aren't nearly that hard but still take an hour or more twice a day to do. She said not to push myself so much it hurts. That can be so damaging to your body. She says uncomfortable - yes. Pain - no. I did one yoga session of core yoga and couldn't move for two days. My yoga instructor said to stay with gentle yoga so I didn't damage my body.

I do admire you for sticking with it, however. I hate to exercise! will you go back next week, do you think?

Louise SS said...

Thank you for giving me such a good laugh! I can totally relate to your pain. Just reading about it hurts... or maybe that was because I was laughing so hard. Not at you but with you!:)I hate exercising but need to get back with the program. It is so much more fun exercising my right foot with the sewing machine pedal. The results of that are good but not for my body!:)
Keep up the good work!

Jocelyn said...

I've heard that exercise is highly overrated.

PiecefulChaos said...

I've heard so many great things about Crossfit but have been too timid to take the plunge! You are brave! Keep at it! Are you doing thr Paleo diet? I am starting Whole 30 tomorrow.

Carolyn Sullivan said...

Planks r hard!!!! just plain hard!!!! but they work every muscle in your body!!!!
hang in there.
I did traier time this AM and am still tired!!!