Tuesday, August 13, 2013

If It's Not One Thing . . .

I'm not sure why any of you quilters would want to keep reading my blog when it seems most of what I've been talking about lately is how bad I feel, and tonight's post is no exception--sorry!  But I appreciate the fact that at least a few of you keep reading.

Remember that cold I had when I was on the Alaska cruise?  Well, it sort of went away, but I continued to suffer from allergies--it's just that time of the year here in our part of the world.  It seems, though, the virus--whatever it is--has returned, and I'm about ready to concede defeat.  The only difference between what I have now and what I had three weeks ago is that my throat isn't quite as sore.  Besides all the typical cold symptoms, I have an irritating cough that just doesn't seem to want to let me rest, and the other unusual thing is that there's an intestinal component as well--as if a head cold wasn't bad enough.

I went to work today--do you know why?  I didn't want to miss CrossFit.  Is that crazy or what?  But about an hour or so before class, I didn't know how I'd ever make it.  Still, I kept going and the weirdest thing happened.  While I was working out, I felt pretty much okay other than a tendency to get out of breath a bit quicker than normal.  I didn't push myself and didn't come close to completing everything the other gals did--nothing new there though--so I'm not sure how I'll feel tomorrow as far as aching body parts go.  I suspect this cold will make me feel so crummy, though, that a few body aches won't matter much.

I read an interesting article on dieting and the science of food today and I thought I'd share it with those of you who are interested.  There are all sorts of theories on when to eat, what to eat (more carbs/no carbs), etc., and that makes it confusing and frustrating to try to watch what we eat, but this article helps to separate myth from reality.  That being said, though, I mentioned yesterday that different things work for different people.  If eating your biggest meal for breakfast works for you, go for it.  If not eating until lunch works better, ditto.  One of the keys to dieting is finding ways to decrease the amount of food we eat, increase our exercise, and make sure what we eat is good for us; so whatever routines help us achieve that are worthwhile.

Finally, in follow up to the story I gave you a link for the other day about the mystery priest who appeared at the site of a serious accident, the priest does in fact exist and has been located.  Still, the circumstances of how and why he was there leave open the idea that there was some higher power organizing things.  Click HERE if you'd like to read the follow up story.

Now I'm going to go to bed and hope I feel better tomorrow.  Diet and exercise aren't for the weak willed.

5 comments:

Xoxo Grandma said...

After reading your post yesterday, I went home & went to the gym. Then this morning, I went for a 2 1/2 mile job...see you're motivating others. Hope you feel better soon.
http://xoxograndma.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Oh I hope you feel better soon! I wanted to let you know that you have inspired me to get more active again! I have lost and regained a tremendous amount of weight. I lost over 100 pounds only to gain it all back and then some over my two pregnancies. I have recently lost about 50 pounds again but have hit a terrible plateau. I gave up being active when nothing seemed to be working but hearing about your workouts has given me the inspiration to try again. I figure being more active is good on its own even if the pounds don't want to come off. Hopefully my body will get in gear and help out since I still have over 100 pounds left to lose! We can root each other on!

Anonymous said...

LOL! I love reading your blog - both the sewing bits and the other stuff as well. Good luck with the cross-fit! two years ago I decided to change things around a little, so I joined a gym, changed a few eating habits and dropped 100 pounds. It was pretty awesome. Still is. But although I am now one tough sucker, I am still leery of cross fit. The classes here in South Florida are always full of bulky buff twenty year olds, and I am just not. But I do want to kick it up a notch, so if you survive, maybe I'll try. If perchance you don't survive, be sure to have your spouse update your blog, so I'll know to avoid the amped up exercise program, OK?

Carolyn Sullivan said...

Now I consider you a gym rat! going to W/O when you are sick WTG!!!! that's a real victory!

Doris R. said...

Hi Kim, I am here reading everyday, even when I don't post. You are making really good strides with your determination to keep up with your Cross-Fit classes. That positive attitude will help put you over the top AND, it looks like you have motivated some of your readers to get moving as well! Remember, I am here reading and laughing (with you and NOT at you!) lol, and cheering you on!