Thursday, August 16, 2012

Winter Swap Blocks

The other sewing project I worked on recently was making the backgrounds for my little group's swap blocks. I told you a bit about it before, but in case you missed that post, I belong to a group of about eight quilters from my quilt guild who got together a few months ago with the idea of participating in a block swap. We agreed our theme would be "winter," and the colors we agreed to use are primarily blue, white, silver, and gold. When I last talked about it, I showed you the first block I'd made to test out my idea. After I decided I liked the way it looked, I cut strips to make the rest of the blocks:


It seemed like I cut an endless number of blue and white strips while I watched the Olympics. I suspect whenever I see this block, for years to come it will remind me of the Olympics, but how funny it is that I watched the Summer Olympics while making winter blocks!

Here are the first five blocks I completed:


I made a total of ten blocks and I thought I had a photo of them, but I can't find it. Still, I can tell you that the other five blocks look pretty much like the first five.

Now I need to decide what I want to applique in the centers of the blocks. First I was thinking of either a pine tree or a bird. THEN I thought about an ice skate. I really like the ice skate idea, but to make it look good, I think I'd have to add a fair amount of applique to each block, and I'm trying to keep it simpler than that. Now I'm thinking about the bird again. But what color? Not blue--I have enough blue. I was considering red, but I was also thinking about adding a couple holly leaves and berries, so maybe not red. (Or is adding leaves and berries getting too fussy again?) Brown?

Or maybe it's a snowman in a snow storm?! THAT's easy enough!

What would you do? Do you have any suggestions?

15 comments:

Donna said...

Why not just the holly and berry or even a poinsetta?

Amy said...

How about a stocking cap or mittens? You could use the holly as a decoration on either one. I like the idea of a cardinal too. I love to see them against a snowy backdrop.

Kim said...

I love the idea of a cardinal. The addition of the red would look great.

Marla said...

How about a goldfinch holding a twig of holly and berries?

Betsy said...

I too like the idea of a pop of red and a cardinal would fit the bill.

Annette said...

I agree with Amy that mittens would be cute. If you did them in red, they'd really pop, and the curves would also contrast nicely with all of the lines and angles in the block.
Love your work!

Carol said...

This is different from the other ideas, but what if the white center of the block is a melted snowman? You could put appliqué of a carrot nose, snowman eyes, buttons, etc. Just a silly thought. I like the idea of a cardinal bird too sitting on a pine tree branch.

Dorothy said...

mittens or a snowman would be adorable!

Anonymous said...

Since one of your selected colors is gold how about gold bells with holly and berries or with a red bow

Nonnie said...

How about christmas bulbs easy peasy Everyone would be different you could have them hanging from a ribbon

Miss Jean said...

How about a snow flake in one of the blue fabrics. That way if someone wants set their blocks on point it will work.

Rabid Quilter from California said...

When my group did "North Woods Winter" a couple of people chose red Cardinals on a snowy blue background for their blocks. With all the blue and silver of the other blocks, and with many using green trees in their blocks, that red made a real statement! They were my favorite blocks. I'm sure whatever you choose will be wonderful! LOVE your blocks so far!

Anonymous said...

How about a gold bell, that would be within your color scheme.

Laura K said...

How about a silver bell with the holly and berries around the top?

Anonymous said...

I was seeing in my mind a gold or silver round Christmas tree ball decoration. You know the kind with the round wire loop at the top. You could add the holly or berries and it would be simple. Just a thought.

Melinda