Friday, May 28, 2010


I wanted to thank all of you for the supportive comments. It helps a lot!

We went to Hubby's doctor today and he had x-rays taken. The films showed a hairline fracture of the tibia just below the knee--the tibia is the larger of the two bones in the lower leg. Hubby was given a knee immobilizer and an appointment with the orthopedist tomorrow. Oh, and more pain pills.

The problem with the knee immobilizer is that Hubby can't get in and out of the car or transfer from his wheelchair to anything else (bed, recliner, or toilet) with it on. The doctor wasn't very helpful when we attempted to discuss solutions, and my inquiry about euthanasia merely got a chuckle or two. In the end, we all agreed that if necessary, the immobilizer would be removed briefly for transfers, but Hubby was to remain non-weight bearing, which is pretty much a no brainer because of the pain. Of course, we have no idea how the orthopedist may weigh in tomorrow on the problem--he may think Hubby needs a cast. Then what? I guess we'll find out soon enough.

I'm still pretty grumpy because the problems Hubby's injury will cause are somewhat extensive, but I think I just need to have faith that they will be resolved one way or another as they arise. Hubby and I didn't sleep well again last night, but we both took a long nap after we got home from the doctor's office this afternoon. In between taking care of Hubby and myself, I spent a little time in the Sweat Shop, so I should have something to show before too long.

The toilet that Soccer Son replaced is still leaking, despite his attempt to fix it today, but he has another idea he'll try tomorrow--silicone. If it works, maybe he'll go help British Petroleum fix their little leak down in the gulf.

Time for bed--Friday's going to be another busy day. Thanks for stopping in to visit.


Laurie said...

I hope both you and Hubby are feeling better really soon. Sometimes doesn't it feel like when it rains, it pours! Maybe time in the Sweat Shop will help. Hubby could cut things out for ya!

Happy Sewing!

Sandy from Thimbleberries said...

Keep us informed about hubby and how things are going at your home. How long did they think it would take for the tibia to heal? You and hubby will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Cara said...

Hopefully thinks pick up.
Getting some sleep I find helps almost anything, doesn't fix it but it makes it a little better.

luv2quilt2 said...

Hope things are a little better for you and hubby today. Take care.

Orcsmom said...

Sorry to hear about Hubby. What is it with leaking toilets, I spoke to my dad yesterday, and theirs has been an ongoing issue for the past week! Now, ours is acting up! Argh! Hopefully, I will get to see ya today at tea, keep your fingers crossed! Hugs!!!


dianne said...

some weeks (months) i want to trade places with you - this has not one of those weeks ... here's hoping that every little (and big) thing goes better for you this weekend

Tammy said...

I am so sorry to hear about your hubby and you with carpel tunnel, that makes it all the more harrowing. Have you thought about home health coming in to assist you, or checking resources out there to widen bathroom doors for the wheel chair to be asssessible? Just a thought, I know you have enough to do as it is. Hope things go better as the days roll by!!

Gran said...

If you can make it to tea today.... Bring a little something to "splash" into it and I will drive you home.

Linda said...

I think Gran has the best idea! Thinkin bout you lots. Hang in there. Remember, breathe in through the nose and out through the mouth, slowly, slowly, slowly--can you feel your blood pressure dropping?
Lurking Linda

Kris said...

Hope this can all be resolved soon! And get your son down to the Gulf immediately! They definitely need some help there!!! said...

Oh Kim, really...

Don't you wonder what's next sometimes? My husband had a fall last summer and broke his ankle in 3 places. The BIGGEST help was home health (he qualifies for Medicare with his disability). The occupation therapist helped him re-learn getting in and out of bed, the wheelchair, the tub, and more and SAVED us majorly because the weightbearing issue was all important. This is different from physical therapy. The orthopod was like he never heard such, completely not connected although we loved his surgery results. We had a small bed frame to make it easier to get in and out, a shower bench, etc. There was even heh-heh, a raised toilet which eases the sitting (but my husband absolutely refused due to dignity issues.) There is help out there that will get you past all this and not every home-health agency is as helpful. Ours was top-notch and top-helpful. Worth looking into.

Best wishes. Quilt when you can for relief.