Saturday, June 20, 2009


Yes, I realize this post is dated Saturday, but it's ABOUT Friday, so the title sentiment is correct. Or maybe it would be more accurate to say TGFO--Thank God Friday's OVER!

Work was crazy today. It isn't Friday the 13th with a full moon, is it? It was one of those days when everything that can go wrong DOES. Not so much for me, really, but insanity reigned all around, and by about 9:30 a.m., you could walk through the office and see people just standing there, shaking their heads. Mistakes, you know? Situations where there are double checks in place and both failed. AND I was busy, busy, busy, all day long! I kept putting off taking my lunch break until I got this rush done or that rush out the door, my boss on his way to his next appointment, and answered just one more phone call. Before I knew it, it was 4:30, and I still hadn't taken my lunch break. Yep, THAT kind of day!

When the front door hit me in the rear as I was leaving the office (figuratively speaking), all I wanted to do was go home and take a nap. But no, there would be no napping for me--not when we were expected at my sister-in-law's house for dinner! So, with the mental promise of a Starbuck's iced latte flitting around the periphery of my consciousness, I got right down to whipping up a macaroni salad. That done, I pulled a cantaloupe from the fridge and loaded it all into a bag. I took a few moments to change into more comfortable clothes (I KNEW my sister-in-law wouldn't mind if I showed up in my slippers--it was a very casual get together), and Hubby and I hopped into the car--off we went. (You know what? I TOTALLY forgot all about stopping at Starbucks, darn it! I think I must have been hurrying so fast, I out ran that mental image!)

Finally, though, the pressure was off. The weekend had arrived. Dinner was just the three of us, three dogs, and a barbecue. Delicious burgers, ripe cantaloupe, macaroni salad, and freshly brewed iced tea. The sun had set, and the temperature dropped into the low-70s, with a nice, refreshing breeze.

Once our tummies were happily full and the dishes cleared away, the dominoes were brought out. We decided to play to 100 points, and Hubby and I reached the goal on the same round. Through the next couple tie-breaking rounds, we remained neck-and-neck with my sister-in-law steadily gaining ground. Finally Hubby went ahead in points and won the game. (I let him win. Yep, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it!)

Now we're home, and it's time for bed. It was a nice evening, but I'm glad the day is over and I have a couple days to recover before it starts all over again. Happy weekend!


Orcsmom said...

Sounds like my day yesterday! I hope you enjoy your Saturday and get lots of sewing done! Thanks again for the directions! See ya Monday at Knot-y Ladies!


PS-Can you explain what "periphery" means? I must have missed that word in Reader Digest! J/K!

Lorraine said...

Friday night is the best night of the week (well IMHO)....the work week is over and the weekend stretches out ahead......I love getting home...changing into the trackies and settling in to watch Friday night football....bliss! Sounds like you had a lovely relaxing evening and letting hubby win dominos was nice of you!! LOL Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Yvonne said...

I hope you have a nice quiet day of sewing today. :) Maybe a beauty treatment might be in order?????

Anonymous said...

nothing beats Friday I agree and what a crazy week by the end we were all asking ourselves in the office "are you sure its not a full moon?" And now its Saturday morning and I'm enjoying my second cup of coffee and still in my jams...
Have a great weekend Kim

Gran said...

Yvonne's Bueaty Treatment suggestions, now brings waves of lol memories. hmmmmmmmm

Sending a big hug.