Saturday, May 31, 2008

More Weekend Fun and a Teapot Winner!


Whew! I'm beat! I've spent the entire day cleaning! Cleaning out drawers, rearranging things, trying to make sense of my "altered art" craft supplies and papers (which don't lend themselves to being as neatly arranged and categorized as fabric!), sprucing up my thrifted treasures, finding homes for the thrifted treasures, rediscovering my own "vintage" goodies . . . . The list goes on and on. I'm going to need a weekend to recover from the weekend! But the end is in sight--it's 11:30 p.m. and I need to vacuum the living room and clean the kitchen. Something's telling me the kitchen's not going to get quite as much attention as the rest of the house got today.

Remember that burglary we had a couple months ago? Well, when I cleaned up our bedroom, I pretty much just shoved stuff away wherever it fit. Today I cleaned everything out and filled the garbage with all kinds of stuff like cheap, ugly circa-1980s costume jewelry, old purses, and dried out old shoes. There were a couple pieces of jewelry with sentimental value that I wasn't sure hadn't been taken in the burglary, but today I found them, so that was a relief! And look what else I found!


If you've been reading my blog for awhile, you may remember my story about always wanting a pair of thigh high boots, getting a pair just about the time the most recent short-lived fad had run its course, and wearing them to the grocery store where I ran into probably the last person I would have wanted to run into! Anyway, there they are, in all their glory--a little the worse for wear after playing a role in a couple Halloween costumes and collecting dust in the closet over the years. Did I throw them away? Naw! Had to keep them--for now. Maybe my future grandchildren would like to see them and hear wild stories about old grannie!


In cleaning out a drawer I found a 6-pack of Mounds candy from Easter--Easter 2007, I believe, if not 2006. These are my husband's and son's favorites, so I put them out in a newly-polished silver plated dish and set the dish next to my husband's recliner. Happy Easter honey! Better late than never!


Here's another silver plated dish I polished up today and a brass English Breakfast Tea container--earlier in the week, I promised to show you some of my finds from the Great 50% Off Memorial Day Sale. I thought I'd show you a couple things tonight.

About a year ago, after my dad passed away and my mom cleaned out everything in their place, she gave me a big box full of sewing-related "stuff." For the past year, I've been ignoring that box. I had looked through it right away, so I knew what was there, but I didn't feel much like sorting through everything and putting it all away. Finally I took care of that today, so I no longer have a large cardboard box shoved into the corner of my son's former room. It feels good to have that done.


My break from cleaning is nearly over, so it's time to announce the winner of the teapot. TERESA of Stitchin' Friends is the new owner of a white, copper insulator covered teapot. There were 14 entries in the giveaway, and when asked to pick a number from 1 to 14, hubby picked 8--Teresa's number! Congratulations, Teresa!

I hope to get this cleaning finished tonight so I can spend most of the day tomorrow in the Sweat Shop with a clear conscience and a happy heart. Tomorrow night I'll draw a winner for the Schnibbles Decoy pattern, so stay tuned and thanks for stopping by to visit me.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats. to Teresa, first on the giveaways.

Nice silver trays you found, Kim. Bet they took some rubbing to get nice and clean.
Are the Easter candies gone yet? Now you better rest today or you will have to go back to work tomorrow to rest up. Have a great sewing day in the Sweat Shop.

Kairle Oaks said...

I'm SO GLAD that you saved those boots, Kim! I want you to wear them the next time we get together!!!

MichelleB said...

Mmmm, I love Mounds too. I'll bet they still taste great.

Busy Little Quilter said...

Congratulations to Teresa!

I have boots in my closet,too. They are country western boots from my country line dancing days.

It does feel good to clear things out, especially when it's sitting in a box taking up space.

Have fun in your sweat shop today. I hope to be in mine today, too!

Teresa said...

YeeeeHaw!! Thank you, Kim! I can't wait to see it.

Teresa said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Red Geranium Cottage said...

Congrats to the winner!!! Even if KIM is getting even with me cause she didn't win on MY BLOG. LOL!!!! Enjoy your new teapot Teresa!!! Really I mean that with all my heart. ROFLOL

Anonymous said...

I hope you didn't throw out my stuff yet. I promise to come get it all soon. I just need to fix my car windows.
I was thinking about you today because I spent my day dragging my friend to a renaissance faire. It reminded me of you, spending hours pulling my hair this way and that just so I could have crimpy fairy hair to match my princess-like costumes. I miss those days. On the other hand, I finally got to taste some mead. Unfortunately, the breasts I was always hoping would fill out a corset never developed. Well, no one can be perfect, even me. :-)
Love you!!!
Wild Child (The drooling dog stayed home today)

Nan said...

Congrats to Teresa!! I'm glad you kept the boots - they're just too gorgeous to give away. Love the treasures from the "Great 50% Off Memorial Day Sale"! I just had to write that!! LOL
I have been cleaning out closets and such lately, too - feels good, doesn't it?

Red Geranium Cottage said...

These boots are made for walking and that's just what you'll do......... LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Trademark Attorney said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.