Saturday, August 4, 2007

Halloween's Just Around the Corner!


Halloween's one of my favorite holidays. The outside temps are finally starting to cool down--here in Northern California, it still feels like summer all through September and into October--but Halloween seems to mark the start of the winter holiday season.

Last year, Bonnie Sullivan of Maywood Studios came out with a line of fabric that I just fell in love with. I made the tabletopper/wallhanging above using that line. I love the vintage Halloween look of those silly cat heads! This was a quick project to make. I simply made shoo fly blocks and fussy cut the cat heads for the setting squares. I think I used two fat quarters for the setting squares and a couple fat quarters for the sho fly blocks, then I added the borders.


This year, Bonnie's back with a continuation of the same line, and I couldn't be more pleased! I've picked up a few fat quarters of both the old and the new line (above) as well as a length of the striped border print and some of the larger squares featuring the same vintage black cat images (below). Paired with some of my leftover fabric from last year, I have more than enough to make another cute project or two.



Last year, my friend Kairle also made a project from the fabric line, and she found several patterns by All Though The Night using this year's fabrics. Here are two I just might make:






You can see a couple more patterns at Colonial Crafts, or you can search at Quiltshops.com, enter "Maywood Halloween," and click on thumbnails to see the fabrics and patterns. Better yet, enter "Maywood Halloween Sale" for a few good bargains!

I can hardly wait to play with this fabric again! Have you made anything using this line? I'd love to see!

Author's Note: Not that I want to twist your arm, but I purchased those fat quarters shown above along with a panel of the large squares as a bundle on sale here. If you're interested in making something from this line, this should be enough fabric for a small project. The same shop has yardage from the line on sale. They also have quilt kits using the All Through the Night patterns.

9 comments:

Darlene said...

I remember all that from last year and have seen the new pieces around the web - very cute. I'm trying really hard to resist them but they are adorable!

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

That looks great, but seeing we don't really do Halloween here, this may be one of the few temptations I can pass up from you...you should see all my Roman Holiday! lol Tracey

Carol said...

I'm trying to be good, but oh my goodness I love Halloween.

Yvonne said...

Oh those are sooo cute. Repeat after me....I will not be tempted...... :)

MichelleB said...

Such cute stuff. Love the quilt and the pattern and the fabric. And you are an evil temptress to post such things as it being on sale AND the website where it's on sale.

Vicky said...

Oh, whew! I've been collecting FQs of Halloween fabric this year and already have those! I was so scared to come here and look -- FOM - fear of megging! LOL

Those quilts are adorable! Can't wait to see what you decide to do!!

Libby said...

That is darling fabric with a nice vintage appeal - can't wait to see the things you make from this year's stack *s*

Anonymous said...

I loved that fabric too.I have a few pieces of it. I tend to collect Halloween fabrics. Love the Maywood patterns too.

Nan said...

I love Halloween, too! There's just something about the colors and fabrics for Halloween that really appeals to me. I had been thinking about purchasing that fabric line, but you've totally helped me decide - yes, yes, YES!! I gotta have it!!
Love the quilt you made - very nice!