Thursday, May 10, 2007

Two Truths and a Lie

Have you ever played Two Truths and a Lie? My first experience with this game was when my husband and I were traveling through Oregon and made plans for dinner at the Table of Content restaurant located inside the Sylvia Beach Hotel, near Newport, Oregon. This is a wonderful place to stay and/or eat if you're in the mood for a quirky, charming experience. The restaurant serves a four-course, fixed price dinner, family-style, with tables usually seating 8 to 10 people. The owner, Goody Cable, started playing Two Truths and a Lie to entertain her guests and break the ice, so that strangers dining together began to interact. Each "player" starts out making three statements, two of which are true and one of which is a lie. It's up to the other diners to ask questions and determine which statements are true and which is not. Interesting stories are told, and you begin to learn a bit about the others at your table.

I next played it with my online quilting group a year or two ago. Our group is small, and over the years, we've gotten to know one another fairly well, so it was a little tough coming up with two truths and a lie that would stump them. A few people guessed correctly but most did not. My lie? I said that 20 years ago, I ran the California Marathon which runs through our city. Definitely a fib! Heck, I don't even run for a good fabric sale!

This Seven Things meme brought the game to mind, so I'll tell you my two truths as numbers three and four on my list of seven things.

3. I first met my husband in church.

This really stumped some of my friends who were amazed at the idea of me attending church. About the closest I get these days is watching Mysteries of the Bible on Sunday morning while I quilt. But at one time, I did attend church on a regular basis. My first husband Mike played guitar every chance he could, and one of the places he played was at Sunday morning folk mass. Much as I didn't enjoy dragging myself out of bed at the crack of dawn (8 a.m.) and getting dressed up for church (because you had to back then), I faithfully attended mass each Sunday and watched Mike play guitar with another musician, also named Mike. One day, I was introduced to the "other Mike's" family--a large, friendly Irish Catholic bunch consisting of a mom, dad, and their six offspring. The "other Mike" was the oldest; his slightly younger brother (11 months younger, an apparently common occurrence I've heard referred to as "Irish twins") eventually became my second husband, but I don't really remember him particularly. I probably wasn't fully awake yet--that's the way it is with anything that happens before noon in my little world. I know I met the family and he remembers meeting me, so odd as it seems, it's true!

4. I'm an award winning writer.

Okay, just a bit of backtracking. The point of Two Truths and a Lie is to tweek the truth just a bit so it become less believable--hence this particular "fact" about me. Yes, it's true. When I was in the third grade, I wrote an essay on fire prevention and won first place for our area. I received $25 in prize money (practically a fortune in those days, which I promptly blew on Barbie doll stuff) and I got to attend an award banquet with the school's principal. I've always enjoyed writing, and maybe that's because of my early brush with fame. (Oh, and did I mention there was a photo of me and write up in the newspaper?!)

So now you know a little more about me. Have I bored you to tears yet? I still have three more things to tell you about me, but those will wait until another day.

1 comment:

CONNIE W said...

Kim: Enjoying your 7 things...keep them coming. :)