Friday, December 19, 2008

Applesauce Cake Success!

I don't know if anyone even noticed I didn't post last night, but if you were here, looking for me this morning, sorry about that. It was getting late by the time I got on the computer and since I'm on vacation for two days, I decided to play hookey from Blogland.

Here's what I did yesterday:


I got seven of these made before I ran out of cloves, so I'll be making a grocery store run this morning to restock. There are a few other ingredients I know I'll need more of too--like applesauce, believe it or not!

I finally perfected the recipe and I'm so happy about now being able to carry on the Christmas tradition my grandmother started. I know some of you wanted the recipe once I figured it out, so here it is:

GRANDMOTHER SCHEPENS' APPLESAUCE CAKE

2 cups applesauce (nothing fancy, just the old fashioned sweetened variety)
1-1/4 cup of granulated sugar
1/2 cup (1 cube) melted butter
1 egg
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 cup raisins
1 cup walnuts
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder

In a medium bowl, mix together the first eight ingredients. In a separate, larger bowl, combine the flour, spices, and cocoa powder. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until well blended but don't over mix.

Grease and dust with flour a Bundt pan (or other round pan with open center, such as an Angel Food Cake pan). Spoon cake mix into the pan and bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.

Let pan cool for 5 to 10 minutes and turn cake out onto plastic wrap. Wrap cake tightly and allow to cool overnight.


(Here's a photo of the cake just before I wrapped it in the plastic. Because the cake is still fairly hot, the plastic wrap works almost like a shrink wrap, so these cakes will stay fresh and moist for at least a few days.)

Seriously, this is an easy cake to make. The mixing and prep time takes only about 15 to 20 minutes. I also wanted to mention that unless you have questions about your oven, don't bother checking the cake for doneness--I think it probably continues to bake a little after it's wrapped anyway. I believe my grandmother's directions were originally to bake it for 45 minutes; I've added an extra 5 minutes "just in case."

In my family, we particularly enjoyed this cake on Christmas morning, along with a cup of coffee or a glass of milk, while we opened our gifts. Give it a try. Maybe you'll start a new tradition in your home!

14 comments:

Judy said...

Well yes I was...came to your blog as I always do first to read and no post! I knew it was all those cakes! Yippee!! They look fabulous!

Chocolate Cat said...

So glad you worked it out!! I had visions of you drowning in applecake mix while trying or having to live on applesauce for the next 12 months when you gave up!!! They look fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I noticed you didn't blog last night. I am snowed in up here in Washington. Kids have been out of school (because of the weather) for the past few days) and I have been off work (I drive, therefore, weather conditions prevented work......oh darn! lol) but I tell ya, only so many days in a house full of teenagers before one goes mad! But anyway......I knew you were busy with your cake and I'm so happy for your success. I think I'll try your recipe and see if my heathens like it. :D
Good news is that I got my Winter Wonderland quilt finished and am well on my way to getting the top of Glory Bound done. :D

Molly in Sumner, WA
http://community.webshots.com/user/mollylivebearer

Molly in Sumner, WA

Rhonda said...

One of those delicious looking cakes would go great with my spicy hot tea.....LOL.....no really!
Take care.

PiecefulChaos said...

I noticed! Glad you got your cake to work out. I will definitely try the recipe!

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Congratulations and thanks for the recipe! I'll have to give it a try.

Jen :)

Mrs. Jackie Sue said...

Yeah! I was rooting for you! Woo Hoo! So glad you tried and tried and succeeded!!! WooWoo! Fantastic, they look so good. YUM!

*hugs*
Jackie

Desi said...

Mmmmm... smells good!

Unknown said...

Glad you were able to figure that out! Now back to quilting!!!
Christy

Penni Domikis said...

I am so glad that you got it all figured out. It looks great and I am pleased that you shared the recipe. I have corrected all mine in my personal recipe book (the one with all the recipes I get from others). I like the plastic wrap trick. Careful out there braving the grocery store.

Shirley--Knot-y Embroidery Lady said...

Ahhhhhhhh! Success. It looks good! Do you double the recipe?

Shirley--Knot-y Embroidery Lady said...

PS I did notice you didn't post last night. Missed you - and I know you have a life too, so I was not worried. Happy baking.

QltnRobin said...

Oh WOW!!!! I saw this recipe and just HAD To make it! I didnt have any applesauce on hand but I did have fresh granny smiths so I peeled/boiled 4 apples to make enough for the cake. It was TORTURE to smell it all night but we had it for breakfast this morning and it was VERY DELICIOUS! Another keeper for Christmas tradition, thank you!
Robin, snowbound in Idaho

QltnRobin said...

ALSO....I dont have a bundt pan, so I baked it in a square cake pan and it was just fine! Hubby does not like gingerbread but he said this was just perfect!