Thursday, October 16, 2014

Are You Going?

I'm taking the day off work tomorrow and heading out in the morning for a couple hour drive to Santa Clara, where I'll be taking a class at the Pacific International Quilt Festival.  Will you be going to the show this weekend, by any chance?  It's been several years since I've been to this one put on by Mancuso, and it's huge, with classes each day, tons of eye candy in the form of quilts, and a whole lot of vendors.

The last time I went to this show, I took an applique class and the only chance I had to visit the main rooms was spent zooming around to the various vendors, looking for materials for the class during our lunch break with almost no time to admire the quilts.  I think, if I remember correctly, our class was a two-day class, too, and we were filmed for Simply Quilts--I think this was near the end of Alex Anderson's TV series.  I've been told I show up in the episode, although I've never seen it!

Anyway, this time I'm taking just a half day class that's directed primarily toward learning a technique--needle felting using wool roving on wool applique.  And we're making sheep.  Here's a photo of the teacher's finished project--


Oh, yeah, and there's embroidery involved too--it looks like quite a bit, right?  I've never done needle felting and always wanted to try it, so this is my chance to learn.  If you'd like to see a little more of this process and the thought behind it, check out Debora Konchinsky's blog--she's the instructor.  Just click HERE.

I've booked myself a room and I'm looking forward to an early evening spent in solitary splendor, with a good book, a stitchery project to work on if I feel like it, and a new pair of jammies.  On Saturday, I'll head back to the show and hopefully I'll get to spend more time viewing the quilts than I did the last time I went.  And, of course, I'll take a little time to check out the vendors--after all, I'll have all day before I hop back in the car and head home.  Maybe I'll see you?

8 comments:

Sandy said...

Hi Kim, I'm going tomorrow (Friday) I'll look for you among the hordes ... I know what the top of your head looks like, lol!

Judy D in Upstate NY said...

Glad that you are posting more often. You always have great ideas and your blog is fun to read.

Anita said...

Hi Kim, I think my friend Judy is in your class. She is a very nice, friendly quilter. I'm probably headed to the show tomorrow afternoon with my daughter. It is so much fun. I hope you have a great time.

Busy Little Quilter said...

It's too far for me, but it sounds like fun.
I, too, am glad to see you posting more. I have missed you!
Have a great time!

Clipping Path said...

I'm personally a big fan of kimsbigquiltingadventure blog. Thanks for sharing this post

على جمال said...

شركة رش مبيدات بالرياض
شركة رش دفان بالرياض
شركة مكافحة النمل الابيض بالرياض
شركة مكافحة الفئران بالرياض
شركة مكافحة الناموس بالرياض
افضل شركة مكافحة الصراصير بالرياض
شركة مكافحة البق بالرياض
شركة مكافحة الحمام بالرياض

Matt said...

THANK YOU DUDE

Roland said...

Spritpreise aktuell ist ein Thema über das ich auch viel erzählen könnte.Aber ein sehr schöner Beitrag.Grüße Roland