Sunday, March 16, 2014

Uh oh!

After I went to a quilt show on Saturday, I came home and read my horoscope.  It said . . .

Leo

7/23-8/22
Budgetary matters are all-important today -- so look over your spreadsheets. If you don't actually have a budget, now is a great time to get started, thanks to some very practical mental energy.

Oops!  Too late!!!! But maybe all those bags in the trunk of my car were simply a last hurrah before I consider a budget.  Ah, well . . .

Anyway, on Saturday my friend Irene and I went to the quilt show in Yuba City put on by the Valley Quilt Guild.  When we arrived, Irene and I raced straight to the Country Store--I think looking for wonderful bargains on quilty goodies no longer needed/wanted by other quilters is one of the best things about a quilt show.  And this one was no exception--which seriously accounted for nearly half the buys filling my car trunk--and I only spent $24!  I was lucky enough to score some wonderful books, magazines, and patterns, including two early Thimbleberries Limited Edition Cover Story patterns complete with the screen printed center panels.  These and the Thimbleberries Quilt Preserves (quilt kits in a can) are, to me, a little like stumbling across a gold nugget in a running mountain stream, so as you may imagine, I was pretty excited!

And yes, I found a few things from the vendors too.  For instance, Sandy Klop had an entire booth filled with tons of her American Jane books, patterns, and fabric, and I confess my bag was a little bit heavier and my checking account a little bit lighter by the time I left her booth!  I sure would have loved to invest in one of her larger quilt kits, but I don't know when I'd get around to making it, and since the kits were on the pricey side, I continued to put back down each one I picked up, right after I drooled over them just a little a bit.

Speaking of drooling, do you want to see some of the quilts I took photos of?

I'm not usually attracted to Baltimore Album-type quilts despite my love of applique, but this one was really lovely.  Maybe it was the black background that attracted me most.  


And I had to get a photo of this Primitive Gatherings quilt; after all, I, too, have the pattern and I've "collected" the background flannels--one of these days I'll get started on it, but in the meantime, it's great to see one finished.


This embroidered quilt is from a Crabapple Hill pattern called Over the River and Through the Woods.  I wanted to get a photo of this version because I'd never seen it done in blue work before.  Neat idea!


Another Crabapple Hill pattern; this one is Vintage Tin.


The newest Crabapple Hill large-sized pattern is Hook, Line, and Sinker, and we saw it made up in a vendor's booth.  Boy, I'd love to have that one too but I never seem to get around to embroidery, so I resisted.

I love how whimsical these quilts are.  There were several excellent quilts, but my camera started acting up.  At this point it alerted me that the memory card needed to be reinserted--even though it was inserted and nothing had been done that would affect it.


The featured quilter was Diane Leighton, and I think these next quilts were by her.  At this point, my friend and I started to get super hungry for lunch, and my feet were screaming, so I'm afraid the details are a little sketchy in my mind.



Remember the camera problems I mentioned?  Well, right about here, my camera decided to commit suicide.  Just as I was getting ready to take a photo of this quilt--because I love the "color study" aspect of the quilt--my camera jumped out of my hands and landed on its head on the concrete floor.


Yes, I think the partial blurriness was caused by damage to the camera, and the lens will no longer retract.  After my camera killed itself, I didn't have the heart to enjoy the rest of the quilt show, so Irene and I left to go have a delicious lunch at a local Mexican restaurant that was recommended to me last year. All in all, it was a really good show, although I wish I'd gone back after lunch to linger a little longer over some of the quilts.  I'll have to remember to slow down and spend a little more time at the next show.

Over the weekend, I did, indeed, finish my Country Homecoming blocks, but I don't have a camera at the moment, so I'm not ready to share a photo.  Somewhere I have an older camera, and if I can find it, I'll try to take a photo.  Otherwise, it will have to wait until Tuesday or Wednesday when my new camera should arrive, courtesy of Amazon Prime.

In the meantime, I wish all of you a Happy St. Patrick's Day!

4 comments:

catarac said...

I went to the Yuba City Quilt Show and loved the booth with all the America Jane stuff. The kit I wanted was $300 - I resisted also!! Enjoyed the show then went to Sew So Quilt Shop and then on to Colusa to the new shop there - very nice shop.

Miss Jean said...

Our next quilt show in this area isn't until May! Major shopping withdrawals!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the eye candy!!

KMSC said...

Sorry to hear about your camera. I hate it when things like that happen! It sounds that the quilt show was a good one. Maybe someday... Thanks for the inspiration photos.