Monday, May 13, 2013

Can She Bake a Cherry Pie, Billy Boy, Billy Boy . . .

Saturday was the monthly gathering of my stitchery friends, and I volunteered to bring dessert this month--I had purchased a nice quantity of the season's first cherries the weekend before and I had seen a cherry pie idea on the cooking show Kelsey's Essentials.  In the end, I used the fresh cherries I purchased and supplemented them with about an equal amount of frozen cherries.  These desserts turned out oh so cute!


I doubled the recipe and was able to get a dozen pies.  You can find the recipe HERE.  Shorter and wider jars which would work MUCH better, but I didn't have time to shop around, and these were the size I came up with.  I used frozen pie shells and pressed segments of the dough around the insides of the jars; I was afraid I was handling the dough too much, but they turned out very tasty!


You can see in the above photo that I also used a crumb topping for some.

Pies and desserts in jars seem to be the hot, new idea--since I saw these on Kelsey's Essentials, I've seen several other ideas online and in magazines, especially for non-baked goodies.  The nice thing about these pies, though, is that they can be frozen before baking and then given as gifts or baked as needed--they just bake in the canning jars.


Yum!

4 comments:

Aunt 'Reen said...

What a clever idea!
I love how portable they are too!

Kim said...

Great idea! I've also done these with an unbaked cheesecake "ish" dessert. Now I have the Billy Boy song in my head!

Rosa said...

Mmmm, delicious!

Xoxo Grandma said...

I'm thinking this is a great idea for the next time I host my book club. Thanks for the inspiration.