Monday, April 29, 2013

A Day With Perry

As I spent Sunday working on my scrap blocks and another project or two, I came across a Perry Mason marathon on the Hallmark channel--at least I think that's the channel it was on.  Every now and then, I'll catch an old, old episode from the 60s, but the episodes I watched today were from a later period--probably from the 80s would be my guess based on the clothing.  And they may well have been TV movies when they first aired, because each was two hours long.

I love Perry Mason.  Working in a "real" law firm isn't at all like it is on Perry Mason of course, but that's where my interest in working for a law firm started.  When I was a kid, Perry Mason was one of my favorite shows, and my mom cultivated my interest, suggesting I could be just like Perry's secretary, Della Street.  I've mentioned it before here--I wish she'd told me I could be just like Perry Mason; maybe I'd be an attorney now instead of a secretary.  But back in those days, although there were a few female attorneys, they weren't very common and I don't think it occurred to my mom or to me that I could be an attorney.

As I watched Perry Mason today, though, I realized Della wasn't just any ordinary legal secretary.  She was smart, loyal, dependable and well respected by everyone who worked with her.  Not a bad role model, really--and not just for legal secretaries, but for all of us.

I guess we can't all be the center of attention, like Perry Mason.  Maybe being Della Street isn't so bad after all.

8 comments:

dortha said...

I loved Perry Mason. I also loved Ironsides. I guess it depends on when you grew up.

Eileen C said...

Don't forget Kim, that if not for Della Street, Perry would not be the attorney he was! We all know the secretaries run the businesses.


Eileen C

andsewon said...

Love Perry Mason shows! Older the better! Perry, Della and Paul Drake. Yes back then secretary, teacher, nurse or really exciting be a stewardess.

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

I'm a Perry Mason fan too! Love seeing those courtroom breakdowns/reveals of the guilty party. I am hooked on Law & Order reruns too.

Jan said...

Perry rocks! Especially the first couple of seasons when he was a bit edgier, and skirted the law a little bit. Good choice!

Rabid Quilter from California said...

When I was a kid, I used to watch the old fashioned "cord board" operator at a local department store while my mother shopped. I was fascinated by all the buttons and how she handled them. Two days after I graduated from high school, I was hired by Pacific Bell and enjoyed my "dial O for Operator" job for many years! Certainly my mother's admonition to "learn typing and shorthand and become a secretary" also had something to do with it but if I had it to do over again, I would have gone into medicine.

Teach your children (and grandchildren!) well. . . .

Bowbailey said...

The author of the Perry Mason books was Erle Stanley Gardner who resided in my home town of Temecula,Ca. That's where he wrote the books until his death. There is an annual celebration if his life that involves a mystery to be solved!

Anonymous said...

Yes his show was great I love the marathon days for your Favs is so much fun to sew to huh? thanks your blog is just TOO cute love it !!!!
Deb Kelly
http://somewhereinstitches.blogspot.com