Monday, October 8, 2012

Some Quilt Stuff

Another weekend's over and I didn't get everything done I planned to do, but I did do some unplanned things that I enjoyed--it's always a balance, isn't it?  Cooking and food shopping really side tracked me but I enjoyed it and now I have a lot of food prepared ahead.  On Saturday night, with nothing on TV I felt like watching, I thought it would be fun to go to a movie, so Hubby and I went to see Perfect Pitch--and enjoyed it a lot.  It's got some really funny stuff in it, although I think it plays better to a younger audience than Hubby and me.  Still, the music was enjoyable and I felt it was a really fun movie.

I planned to decorate my Halloween tree and take some photos of the decorations, but I didn't really do that.  Maybe tomorrow night.  I DID take a photo of one of my favorite Halloween quilts, though--it's hanging on the wall in my bedroom.  I've shown it on my blog before, but I think it's worth showing again.


I used to belong to a Thimbleberries Yahoo group and now and then we'd have a challenge to make and send in a block.  The person whose block was voted the best (all blocks were posted online anonymously) won all the blocks.  I was super disappointed when I didn't win with my block--it's the one with the bat and pumpkin on the second row from the top, second block in from the right--because I thought our group had done a particularly good job on these blocks.  My friend Eileen won with the block that's to the left of mine--and I had to admit her block was really great, so she deserved to win.

Eileen is a fabulous hand quilter.  One Christmas, Eileen gifted me with the finished, hand quilted Halloween quilt--she knew how much I loved all those blocks, which were made even better by her quilting.  Since that time, I've greatly cherished the quilt.

One thing I DID get done over the weekend was to finish the overdue Comfort & Joy section.  Here it is, all put together:


You can see that it was quite involved with three areas of applique.  I think we only have two sections left--and I'm sure the next one will be due in a couple weeks, so I'll try to get going on it before too long.  But having finished this section, I took the opportunity to clean up the Sweat Shop, sort everything out, and get all the odds and ends put away.  It's funny how quickly things can accumulate!

I planned to design and make a wool gingerbread man arrangement--it's something my stitchery friends and I will work on next weekend--and not getting around to it was my biggest disappointment for the weekend.  Instead, I was sidetracked by sorting out all of my wool, something that happened when I went to find the wool I'd need to make the gingerbread men.  I didn't get all the wool sorted--far from it!--but I made some progress, so I can't beat myself up too much about the gingerbread men.  I'll just have to stay more focused this week to get it done.

I hope your weekend was what you wanted it to be.

2 comments:

Anna said...

someday I am going to decorate for Halloween...looks like so much fun! I love those Halloween villages they make like the Christmas ones.

James said...

Hi,
Will you please post a link to your Blog at The Quilting Community? Our members will love it!
Members include: Quilters, Quilting Enthusiasts, Experts, Bees, Circles and Clubs.
It's easy to do, just cut and paste the link and it automatically links back to your website. You can also share Photos, Videos and Articles if you like.
Email me if you need any help or would like me to do it for you.
Please feel free to share as often and as much as you like.
The Quilting Community: http://www.vorts.com/quilting/
I hope you consider sharing with us.
Thank you,
James Kaufman, Editor