Friday, October 19, 2012

Merry Merry August

Tonight I finished the August block for Merry Merry Snowmen--now I just have to make the September and October blocks to get caught up.  And, in fact, I think the October block is the last block, so I'm getting close to the end of this project.  Here's the block I just finished:


I've read with interest your comments about how much you're willing to spend on a pattern.  I have to agree with what many of you said that $20 is about as high as you'll go.  I think I've paid around $24 for a couple Bee in My Bonnet/Lori Holt applique patterns because they're so cute AND because I can envision making them as embroidery projects too . . . not that I've made them yet, though.  But they're waiting for me--I've INVESTED in my future projects, right?

I'm also more willing to splurge on Bunny Hill BOM patterns, as evidenced by Merry, Merry and Autumn House, as well as a couple other BOM patterns that I have kitted up and ready to start on just as soon as I have time.  Most of these patterns cost around $40.  A little more than I normally spend, but I always watch for sales on these.

Another thing I've splurged on and actually considered something of a bargain is when quilt shops do a BOM class based on a $60 pattern and charge $60--so the class is free and you pay for the pattern.  Or maybe the pattern is free and you pay for the class.  Whatever.  Of course, the shop usually makes its profit when we go in and buy fabric since we're THERE anyway.  Still, I've done it a couple times and it works well, especially when I can use my stash fabric to make the project.  That was how I made the Christmas List quilt, and I really LOVE that one.

So, as with everything else in life, there are exceptions.  It's funny now to look back at when I first started quilting.  For several years I bought very few patterns because I knew I could design quilts myself.  Only as time went by did a start buying more patterns, and quite often, I haven't even made the quilts out of those patterns yet.  Doesn't that seem a little backwards, only starting to buy patterns after I'd been quilting for a few years?  Maybe it's because I've learned to appreciate the work others put into their designs.  Or maybe I've gotten lazy.  Who knows?  What really matters, I think, is that I enjoy making what I DO shell out money for . . . and I have.

Last year, in 2011, my focus for the year was to finish UFOs.  In 2012, my focus has been to work on applique block of the month projects.  I don't really know what my focus will be for 2013, but I'm starting to think about it.  Right now, I think it looks like I may have to combine 2011's and 2012's goals into one: FINISHING all of the BOMs that are still in progress!  How about you?  Do you have any specific quilting goals for the rest of 2012 or for 2013?

8 comments:

Darlene D said...

For years I've made quilts to sell or to gift, over the next few months I want to make a few for me and mine! I'll still sell, but would really like to see more in my own home! Good luck with your goals!

Anna said...

OMG...FREAKING OUT...The thought of what I want to do in 2013 is overwhelming! My word for 2012 was "grace" but I am the first to admit that there were times I was anything but filled with grace...oh man...I am going to have to dwell on this question...it is very deep...

Anna said...

oh by the way...your block is very cute!

Rabid Quilter from California said...

Excellent post, as usual. I concur with everything you said down to paying more for Bunny Hill and Lori Holt patterns! I have a huge pattern stash mostly because I like to buy at least a little something every time I visit a quilt shop. Patterns are easy, relatively inexpensive and I use them for inspiration as much as anything else. Also, I can give a handful of them as gifts to my quilting buddies.

Deb said...

You've been very productive this year! I've been pondering if I'd like to set some goals for quilting in 2013 and anything would be good. I have enough material/kits/patterns to last about three life times so I should get to work and finish something! I think I've finished about 7-8 quilts this year, but normally I can have about one finish a month, so I'm behind, gotta get with it!

Laura K said...

I don't have any goals yet. I still have one child who is in school only part time and that makes for a hectic day of dropping off and picking up. That leaves me very little time to sew during the week. I hope to get more accomplished once she is in first grade! I love Bunny Hill patterns too. I won a copy of The Night Before Christmas from her blog and I just received Pumpkin Hill from her for helping out her doggie who lost it's favorite toy. Anne is a very generous and kind lady. Of course I downloaded A Tisket A Tasket, Snowbound, and Henrietta Whiskers when she was giving them away free too. I also was able to get Le Jardin for half price from a special coupon I got. So I guess I have been lucky and have a lot of her patterns. Now I just need to find the time to work on them all. Maybe that should be my goal for 2013! Get to work on all my Bunny Hill patterns! I guess you have inspired me!

Carol said...

I've never been much of a To Do List type person. There's lots of things in my sewing room that need to be finished that's for sure. I think my goal should be to limit how many new things I buy in 2013 and get some of my lovely things finished. That's a good idea, my goal for 2013 will be to only buy one new thing in a whole month. I tend to see it, want it, buy it, stash it.

Tina said...

I'm with Carol! I too, need to limit my spending and actually get some of these projects, kits and BOMs done! My quilt room (actually a large closet in the spare bedroom) can't really hold anymore quilting "stuff"!