Sunday, January 22, 2012

Year(s) of the Rabbit(s)

Most of you already know the story. I was smitten with Bunny Hill's Rabbits Prefer Chocolate BOM (as it seems most of the quilting world was) and I signed up for the monthly class at my local quilt shop. That first month, I made the first block. The next month, on the second block, I tweeked the pattern a little bit--that was the big chicken with the bunny on its back, and I wanted it to look like it was running faster. By the third block--well, I tweeked that one even more. And the fourth block? That's when I got sidetracked and put it away for awhile.

Over the years, I pulled it out now and then and worked on it a little bit and then put it away again. Finally this year, I got a little more serious about it. After all, by this time, I had quite a few blocks made and only needed to make a couple more.

Well, maybe more than a couple. But it wasn't too far from finished, so I kept on. And now the quilt top is done.


A couple of you asked about a pattern. No, I can't market my version because it's really Anne Sutton's pattern--admittedly with a few tweeks and variations, but it was originally her idea. But I'd like to encourage you to try something similar if you like a pattern but you have a few ideas of your own. Really, it's not as hard as you might think.

For mine, I looked at how Anne drew her bunnies and chicks, and I drew similar shapes onto freezer paper with a pencil. If a line wasn't right, I erased and redrew it. The shapes were relatively simple. I'm not an artist--for instance, I'd be hard pressed to draw a design like McKenna Ryan's applique patterns--but these simple designs are achievable, particularly if you have a good pattern to begin with.

I looked at the copyright date on Rabbits Prefer Chocolate--2005. I suspect the class I took began in 2006, so I've spent six years on this project! You know what? I took another BOM class at the same time with similar results--I think I finished the first block for that one. Maybe it's time I got it out again.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's BEAUTIFUL, Kim, and I love your borders! Thank you for such great inspiration! Florence

Anonymous said...

I really like your version alot too! I believe worth the six year wait. LOL

Josie McRazie said...

somthing like this is well worth the wait! If you had rushed through it it probaboly would not be what it is today! And you would not be so pleased with it! you can't rush talent and inspiration comes when it comes! I love your bunnies and I think the artist would be pleased with what you did!!

Janet said...

I compared your applique with ann's and they are very different. It is like the daughter of the original pattern. To me this quilt is a good example of an inspired by.... Very creative.

No Tamales this year?

Carol said...

It's awesome Kim!

Anonymous said...

I started mine probably about the same time you did, I remember it's when I learned the freezer paper and starch applique method. I have about 6 blocks done, I keep seeing it in my someday bin to work on, but I just am not into that freezer paper and starch method anymore, I love machine applique now. Your modified one came out soooo cute!

sunny said...

It's beautiful! ou've done a lot of work on it. I'm just learning applique, so I'll probably stick with Anne's pattern. Thanks again.

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

It is AWESOME! I don't have the patience for the applique so I will just admire yours. You did a wonderful job, Kim!

Miss Jean said...

I hope Anne gets to see this. She will be so pleased.

Ramona said...

How fun. That should inspire me to pull mine out and finish it up too, but for now I am going to try and finish up her Henrietta Whiskers pattern. Love Anne's fun patterns and your great twists on with the bunnies and chicks!

Jan said...

What a fun finish; so darn cute!

Nancy H. said...

It is so adorable! It is so easy to give up on big projects especially after they sit for awhile. You have inspired me to get out one of my applique quilts that has been sitting for years while I started and finished other projects!
Congratulations!

Kris said...

I am loving all the "finishing off" I am seeing in blogland at the moment. Such an inspiration! Well done. Off now to finish something!!!

Anne Sutton said...

OMG I can't believe how cute you've made my quilt design! It's just adorable and really an honor to see what you've created...a one of a kind Rabbits Prefer Chocolate! Congratulations on a job well done.

Karen said...

WOW this turned out adorable and I love all of the fabrics that you used in it. I like this one BIG TIME :). To bad you can't make this one into a pattern. I'm doing the Rabbits in the embroidery redwork version. Great job on your version

Hugs - Karen