Saturday, January 14, 2012

It's True!

Time really DOES fly when you're having fun! How did it get to be the middle of January already? I thought Christmas came fast this year, but I figured that was because there was so much to be done before it arrived--why is time still speeding by now that Christmas is past and January is here?

I think one of the reasons I've been longing to work on applique is the leisurely nature of hand work. I don't want to be forever rushing through life to get from one place to another--literally and figuratively. Especially, though, in quilting, because it's not a race; it's a slow craft by nature and a relaxing hobby that should be enjoyed.

As I was prepping the applique borders for the bunny quilt tonight, my mind drifted off to the plans I have for quilt projects and what I want to make and complete this year. I thought about how I wanted to keep track of the quilts I finish, and I decided I should continue with something similar to the 11 in '11 photos in my sidebar. But then I wondered whether that kind of goal-making would keep me feeling I HAD to accomplish more and more, faster and faster, and I had a mental image of myself as a hampster, running inside a wheel.

Somehow I need to find a way to enjoy this hobby we love and let go of the feeling that quilting is a means to an end. I need to enjoy the process and the creativity and not feel I need to get things finished quickly so I can move onto the next project. How do I do that? Especially when I'm so excited about so many of the projects I want to work on this year? I feel a little like a kid on Christmas morning who's told to slow down and really savor each and every gift before opening the next. Who does THAT?!

Well, I'm going to try. Maybe I'll put up a sign or two in the Sweat Shop, reminding myself to slow down and enjoy. To take deep breaths. To step away from the sewing table now and then. I don't know; I'll have to give it some thought.

In the meantime, the weekend's here. Cheers!


Lunch with friends at Chevy's today--yum!

5 comments:

Helen said...

I agree with you completely, but sometimes we get caught by the hussle & bussle of working life and other goals we set for ourselves. Thanks for posting this post. It helps to realize I'm not the only one who wants to slow down and enjoy the process and this amazing craft.

Robin said...

OK, first of all, I'm jealous. Your lunches are so more fun than mine!! Of course, my 25-minute lunches are spent in a noisy school cafeteria. Wonder if I could camouflage one of those drinks in a thermos. That would make the afternoon more enjoyable, LOL.

If you figure out how to relax and stop racing around, PLEASE let me know. My whole life feels like a race. Hmmmm, does the drink help that, too??

Anna said...

oh you are so wise...you are my guru!

Shirley--Knot-y Embroidery Lady said...

Looking forward to spending a wonderful day with you - stick with me babe and I'll slow you down ... Oh, Oh, is that you running the other way, eh?! In any case we are all on our own journey and I am blessed to have you cross my path. You are a very creative person and I know you will figure your "flight plan" out for this coming year. Looking forward to you coming over today.

Lorraine said...

I had the same thoughts the other day when I realized that Christmas was fast disappearing in the dust of a busy January! I am always working to future deadlines at work and it seems to have rubbed off at home as well....so the past couple of weeks I have been working on some smaller projects that are achievable and don't leave me with the feeling that I am spinning my wheels and not getting anything finished. But get this......I have strted prepping not one of these projects....but three or four....LOL. So they are in little baggies next to the couch for days like today....a quiet Sunday when I don't have to be anywhere or do anything....and even better....the cricket is on.....bliss.....I have been stopping to smell the roses lately and they smell pretty darn good!