Monday, July 11, 2011

Ketchup!

Actually, I'm not really going to write about ketchup (or catsup). Tonight I thought I'd write a bit of a catch up post, but with the recent mayo/Miracle Whip discussions, I couldn't resist hauling in another condiment!

On Saturday, my stitchery/quilting group got together at Imelda's home. I always love her seasonal decorations, and this was no exception--she had her home wonderfully decorated for summer and the 4th of July. We even enjoyed some fireworks--sort of. Her husband barbecued for us, and while we were eating, Julie had a view of the patio and noticed that a spark from the barbecue had lit a large bag of charcoal briquets on fire! Yikes! After a lot of running to and fro and messing about with hoses, the fire was out and we were back at our meal--with only a soggy bag of charcoal to show for it. Sadly, I had forgotten to bring my camera--and you KNOW that's the first thing I thought of, right?!

One of the things our little group does best during our gatherings--besides eating--is talking. Saturday we talked about some of the recent topics on my blog, like the Casey Anthony trial. I think we were all dismayed by the verdict, although we agreed that we weren't there and didn't hear what the jury heard. On Friday night I had watched a TV show that aired a segment about the trial, and they talked to two of the alternate jurors about their impressions of the evidence. I thought that the one young man who had been an alternate had a fairly skewed impression of Anthony and the law, but again, I wasn't there. It's just all so heart wrenching though.

I've been enjoying reading your comments about mayo, Miracle Whip, and the good old days over the course of the weekend. If you're someone who comments--or reads comments--early on, take the time to go back and read these. They're so fun! Amy commented about grilled cheese and Miracle Whip sandwiches--which sounds strange enough to try someday, I think! Now and then, I like grilled tuna and cheese sandwiches, and the tuna has to have sweet pickle relish--I'm guessing the grilled cheese and Miracle Whip sandwiches have a bit of that flavor without the fish taste. If I try it, I'll let you know. I don't think I mentioned it before, but mostly I like mayo, although I NEED to use half Miracle Whip, half mayo for macaroni salad--the Miracle Whip just gives it a bit of zing.

On the subject of nostaligia, when Hubby and I were on vacation, heading down to Pismo Beach, we stopped at a coffee shop for lunch. There we found vintage lunch boxes displayed along the wooden beams all over the restaurant. I took a couple photos to share.


I asked Hubby what lunch boxes he'd had as a kid. He had one with a rounded top that looked like a treasure chest, and that's the only one he had (the same "model" is shown in the photo below). He told me he wanted that one because the shape was just like his dad's. I'll admit to being a bit spoiled, because my parents bought me a new one every year, and I can't even remember now which ones I had! How about you? Do you remember yours?


In response to my post about pinning quilts, a couple of you commented that you use spray baste. Someone else asked where you spray and how do you keep it from getting on everything you don't want it on? I wondered the same. I think I might try the starch method--where you starch the heck out of the quilt back so nothing moves. Tonight I repinned the border section of the quilt I'm working on and thought again that there has to be a better way, although I don't mind the repinning so much, just as long as I don't end up with folds and puckers.

The weekend is over and it's back to work for me. I hope you had a lovely summer weekend with family and friends!

17 comments:

Three Birds Inspired said...

Just a quick comment..again...about the spray basting. I spray baste in my studio. I have a huge, thrifted king size sheet that I use to cover the floor. Then I lay out the quilt back, spray, lay on the batting, spray and finally smooth on the top. I do the quilt in halves so that I have a place to kneel and smooth. I have an unfinished basement where I could hang the quilt to spray but there is no real ventilation and I would probably asphyxiate before I was finished!

kimland said...

I only remember one...
The Flying Nun

dianne said...

is there any other way to make a grilled cheese sandwich?!? Velveeta and Miracle Whip on the inside of two slices of Rainbo bread, with Crisco spread on the outside, and then grilled to perfection in a cast iron skillet ... well - i actually use butter on the outside of Orowheat potato bread, and a non-stick griddle nowadays...

i took my lunch to school in a paper bag - i had my sister's hand-me-down lunch box (i think it was Alice in Wonderland - or maybe Cinderella), but my mom wouldn't let me use it after i left a moldy orange in it over a long weekend (stop giving me oranges. Mom - they make my mouth itch and swell up)

Miss Jean said...

First of all, what kind of cheese is used for the grilled cheese/Miracle Whip sandwhich? Inquiring minds want to know!

If you are ever in my neck of the woods you need to stop here: http://www.thelunchpail.com
Besides being decorated with vintage lunch boxes they serve wonderful breakfasts and lunches as well as award winning pies. Yes, it does say Pineapple Cream Cheese Crunch Pie!!!

Josie McRazie said...

I do remember a strawberry shortcake lunch box! And hehe I saw a new one in the store not all that long ago! What goes afround comes around! But of course they are all plastic now not metal!! Well in my kids case we got reusable insulated bags! Not even lunchboxes anymore!!

Anonymous said...

I never had a lunch box, never carried my lunch to school. I had an allowance and from that I bought lunch at school. Back in those days, it was 25 cents a day. When the price went up, I started working in the cafeteria and received my lunch for free as pay. Then from 8th grade on, I just ate an apple for lunch.
cindy

Nancy said...

For a while, I actually collected lunch boxes and bought most of them at auctions for mere pennies... The first really cool lunch box I remember was one that a friend carried as a purse. It was a construction worker type that she painted black and then glued photos and magazine pictures all over. She was a really cool girl, when there weren't a lot of them around...

deb said...

thanks for the blast to the past...I only remember one and it was Archie and Veronica..they were my favorite comic book and I would save all my money and buy them everytime they came out...I think they were 12 cents!!!!

Laura K said...

I only remember having one lunch box. It was Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and it had a spinner and game board on the back. You used raisins or what not (whatever was in your lunch I guess) as playing pieces. It was great until the spinner rusted in place and wouldn't spin anymore! Thank you for a trip down memory lane!

Pink-a-Palooza said...

Ok, spray basting: I had a major advantage that most folks dont, my hunka hubbs works at several hotels. He would set up as many banquet tables as I needed, crank up the A/C, get me a mocha, and off I'd spray!
When spraying I'd open the sliding doors on the banquet room.
I have spray basted at home on small quilts by taping the backing to the floor, open all the windows and spray...I spray in, away from the edges and the floor. You dont have to have ALL the quilt sprayed (to avoid spraying your carpet/floor) You can pin the edges...
During good weather one could set up tables outdoors...
I usually would spray baste 2-3 quilts in one session so as to make best use of all the setting up..
Kim, Im in Sac, if u wanna spray a few quilts, I can take u to the hotel, and we can getterdone..
Gael (Shirley knows me)

Carol said...

I usually spray baste when on a retreat when I have several large tables together. I take a roll of wax paper and rip off long sheets to put under the edges so overspray doesn't get on the tables. I lay out the entire 3 layer sandwich and fold back half at a time (with help) to spray then smooth out as I go. ****As to lunchboxes I never remember taking my lunch to school in the elementary years. I either walked the 3 blocks home or ate in the cafeteria. I wish I remember how much lunches cost. I'm thinking a quarter but not sure---that would be mid '50s.

quiltmom anna said...

I usually lay a sheet or newspaper on the floor under my classroom tables or at a local church that has a cement common area that one can spray things in.
I tape the quilt back to the tables and it goes fast. There are lots of sprays out there but I use one called Stanleys mist spray adhesive and it works great.
I did not have a lunch box as we came home for lunch when I was a kid. The lunch boxes looks like great memorabilia.
Regards,
Anna

Deb Silva said...

I am a Mayo gal myself, and will use MW only if that is all there is. Love the Lunch Box cafe. where on you trip did you find this location? Looks like a fun place to stop at.

Anonymous said...

I had a lunch box with prom queens( I think) but the best part was that the back had a game board that we could play while we had lunch!
I use the spray baste , love lve love it....I spread a old sheet or a drop cloth on the floor of the garage follow the directions and then I can throw the cloth into the wash , nothing in the house or on the cutting and sewing areas , just need a place with ventalation and no wind. I have never been able to baste anything bigger than a baby quilt.....pins and I have a very advasarial relationship.....I still check the back as I go...but no stress!
Bo in Virginia

Ruby said...

Hi Kim,

I would like to thank you and your readers that commented on the quilt backing. I think I am going to try the spray basting on a smaller quilt and the starch method on the larger pieces. Thanks again to your wonderful readers and commenters!

Quilting_Chris said...

I used to love cheese and mayo sandwichs on wonder bread. Always used American cheese. Umm, I may have to make one soon. As to spray basting, I have read about using MistyFuse to baste. It is easier than spray basting and doesn't smell. Be sure to open all of the windows if you are not doing it outside.

debbie m said...

My lunch box was a brown paper bag, lol.

When I use starch I use BoPeep. It is concentrated and you mix it to the stiffness you desire. I bought a pump up oil sprayer so my fingers don't get tired pumping on a trigger sprayer...lazy me. It also has less fragrance which is an issue for me too. The last time I bought it the store only had a half gallon jug! enough starch to last me about 25 years! I've been sharing with my best bud. She starches more than I do.