Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Upstairs, Downstairs

Have you been watching the new series on PBS's Masterpiece Theater? It takes place in London in the mid-1930s, a tumultuous turning point in modern history, and the house--the same house that "starred" in the original series--is now occupied by a diplomat and his wife.

Back when the original series was on in the early 1970s--the series that was set in the same house at the beginning of the 1900s--I was in high school and then I was a young adult, too busy with other things to watch television on a regular basis. Still, I caught bits and pieces of the series and have a vague recollection that I enjoyed it quite a lot. In fact, I've always enjoyed British television, so that's no surprise!

Anyway, seeing the new series started me thinking about the original series and whether it's available on DVD. Yep, isn't EVERYTHING?!


To buy all five seasons at one time was prohibitively expensive. The Wild Child checked NetFlix for me and they indicated there was a long wait for the first disc, so I took the plunge and ordered the first season--it arrived today. If it still holds my interest, maybe I can get the successive seasons through NetFlix or buy the rest, season by season.

How about you? Have you seen the new series? Did you watch the original series? What do you think?

11 comments:

Pat V. said...

Like you, I missed the first go-round of Upstairs, Downstairs. I'm really enjoying this one. It's a shame there are only 3 episodes. I never thought of looking on Netflix...thanks for the idea! I've waited 30 some years, what's a few weeks (or months)?

Sunnybec said...

I didn't know there was a new series.... and we watch British TV!! I watched most of the first series and sometimes there are re-runs... You may get them cheaper in the UK but then there is the postage.... or maybe on Ebay UK.

Julie in the Barn said...

Yep, I'm watching the new one. I was a young married with small kids when the original aired. I watched it faithfully every week. It's been on my Netflix queue for some time but hasn't been at the top yet. Too many other British series to watch first...like Doc Martin, The Dutchess of Duke Street, Bramwell, etc.

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

I had wee ones when the original series aired, so my watching was spotty. A few years ago we watched it all from start to finish on Netflix and just loved it. We're watching the new one and enjoying it, too. Another Masterpiece that you might enjoy is The Duchess of Duke Street; there are two series and both are spectacular.

Amy said...

So who's the anime action hunk that's in queue for your Upstairs, Downstairs DVD?

Kris said...

I saw bits and pieces of the original. Have not heard of the new series here in Australia. I am a huge Doc Martin fan though! Love that series!

Anonymous said...

I watched and loved the original and am amazed that Jean Marsh, who was the creator of the first series, if memory serves, is starring in the new series. I don't think the new one lives up to the first but I am enjoying it. Count me as another huge Doc Martin fan and also of Duchess of Duke Street. So many great Brit shows.
Sue

Richelle said...

I didn't even know that there was an original series until Laura Linney explained it all at the beginning of this show. I am really enjoying it. I cannot wait for the next season of Downton Abbey. That is one I really like.

Jocelyn said...

Never watched the first series. I missed the first week, so I tuned in last Sunday, but I was lost about too many of the details that perhaps were introduced the first week.

Anonymous said...

Hey Kim, I'm watching too. I don't have memories of the original other than not being interested at the time. I just put on hold the 5 seasons at the library. Long line for the first season, but free, and I'm in no rush. - Melanie

Maddie Can Fly said...

I own the original series and love it. I tried watching the new one just to see Jean Marsh -- but it does not live up to the original at all.