Sunday, December 12, 2010

It's Gotta Be A Sickness

Just as the swallows must return each year to Capistrano, I guess I'm compelled to do this Christmas baking thing. I hope I'm not boring you by talking about it again, but that's really all I did today and I think there might be more of it tomorrow. So at least pretend polite interest, okay?

Today I made Nanaimo Bars. Have you had them? Really yummy! Those Canadians really know how to do things right up there, eh?! The recipe I linked you to is the one I used--the only problem I had was that the stuff didn't come out of the pan very well, and some other recipes I saw suggested spraying the pan first with cooking spray. Also, my chocolate layer broke up a little bit--which doesn't detract one bit from their yummy goodness, but they just aren't quite as pretty. And now that I've looked at other recipes, I see they recommended bringing the pan of bars back to room temperature before cutting--that's what I did wrong. Anyway, if you have any inclination to make a batch of really good stuff this year, try these. Yep, they're THAT good!

What else did I make? Brown sugar cookies. They're a tradition in our home, and my mom used to make them too. Simple to make and a nice, uncomplicated cookie that's excellent with milk, coffee, or tea.

Then I made some of those melted chocolate, nuts, and chow mein noodle things. Another simple recipe I wanted to try and hadn't until now.

After that came spicy glazed walnuts. Hot, salty, and sweet--all the good stuff wrapped up in one treat. And they're made in the microwave, so they're pretty easy.

Finally, I made the first part of another cookie/candy thing that has to go in the freezer for a few hours before being rolled and dipped in melted coating. I'll finish those tomorrow.

I think that's all unless I'm overlooking something. But I still don't know why I'm doing this. When Hubby worked, I always sent a tray of cookies to work with him, but he doesn't work any more. And I used to take cookies to work with me too, but this year we had the cookie exchange, so I don't know--maybe I will take some one of these days but they sure don't NEED them there. In past years, we gave cookies to family and friends as gifts, but we kind of stopped doing that too. So I don't know who I'm baking for, but I've made several treats already, and I'll be making at least a few more things tomorrow.

I'll confess something to you though: I'm getting kind of burned out, and I just might not make ALL of the treats I had originally planned yesterday. I'd kind of like to do something this weekend besides hang out in the kitchen, and I already have plenty of cookies made. In fact, if you're in the area, stop by for coffee and a couple cookies. I sure have plenty and after all, tis the season! Fa-la-la and all that stuff!

9 comments:

Kris said...

I'd love to be in the area, but alas, Australia is not really your area! I went to a blog friend's place for lunch yesterday and had a wonderful time. Hope someone pops by!

Judy in Michigan said...

In between all the other treats, try making Martha Stewart's White Chocolate Peppermint Bark. It has 3 ingredients, wh.choc., starlight peppermints, and Rice Krispies. So easy - check out her on-line recipes. I wish I lived near you. I love to "try out - just a nibble" recipes. Have fun!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the invite, but I don't think that I'll be able to make it. A plate of homemade cookies is my favorite gift to receive. My mother was never a cookie making person, and Christmas was not a time for her to change. I've never been one to make cookies at Christmas either. All those cookies and goodies that you have described make me hungry.
cindy

Anonymous said...

When I make nanaimo bars, I put wax paper in the pan first, you can just lift the whole pan out before cutting it up. As for broken bits, well hmmmm!

Anita said...

I do something similar with 3 girlfriends. We have gotten together for 6 or 7 years. We used to bake together but it has just gotten out of hand. We each back 5 double batches of cookies. We got together yesterday baked some cookies and decorated a ton of cookies. I think we worked together at least 10 hours and who knows how many hours at home.

I think we are feeling like it is time to scale back a bit. It is fun but a ton of work - and boy are my feat and back tired.

Good luck with the rest of your baking if you decide to carry on with it.

Janet said...

I am glad someone else feels the need to bake tons of goodies at Christmas. I also am not sure exactly who I am baking all this for, but I think it must be the lack of sunlight this time of year that makes sugar and fat sooo appealing. I live in northern Alberta, eh! LOL

When I make Nanaimo Bars I use parchment in the bottom of the pan so that afterwards I can just Lift them out. Also once you put the chocolate on put it in the fridge for 10 mins to firm the chocolate and then pull it out and score through the chocolate where it will be cut into bars. This makes makes it more likely to be a pretty presentation when it you cut them.

Shirley--Knot-y Embroidery Lady said...

Janet has the best secrets for Nanaimo Bars - eh!
Fa-La-La-La ...

quiltmom anna said...

Kim,
I wish I could come to your house for those Nanaimo bars- they are a Canadian staple though not one I bake. They are available in all the bakeries- some people have peppermint Nanaimo bars and color the center green or red. They are delicious too.
I will make a square with after eight mints on the top- it has a graham wafer base that is not cooked- fast and delicious- It is on this weeks agenda. I also will make Eatmore bars in the microwave.
I like making appetizers and will make a couple for our tree trimming party next weekend. I got the house looking Christmas-y. We found the Christmas village and now I need to find the stain glass for the window.
Christmas is coming to my house after all.
I am not sure what Brown sugar cookies are- My mom makes a shortbread that is made with brown sugar that is yummy. You are making me hungry.
Warmest regards,
Anna

Marilyn said...

My suggestion would be to save the extra cookies in the freezer for when you teach a class on a Christmas pattern. It would be good to get an early start on next year's Christmas projects and wouldn't the homemade cookies be a nice surprise for your students!