Monday, November 29, 2010

Got Leftovers?

Do you have what's left of one of these?


Yes? Then I just might have a really good soup recipe for you!

I came across a couple different soup recipes that sounded good, and I decided to combine and tweek them a little. Happily, it resulted in a really YUMMY leftover turkey soup! And because Hubby gets a little upset when I do this since he knows I'll never remember exactly how I made something ever again, I thought I'd share it with you and forever memorialize the recipe so I can find it again too.

It's a turkey/mushroom/rice soup, and here's what it looks like--


Yum, and double yum!

Here's what you do--and, by the way, this recipe will fill a pretty big pot, so you can freeze half for another time.

INGREDIENTS:

4 slices of thick bacon, cut into 3/4" pieces
1 medium onion, chopped
3 large ribs of celery, chopped
8 oz. pkg. sliced white mushrooms
1/2 of a green bellpepper, chopped
3 tablespoons of butter
2 pkg. Rice-a-Roni (or other brand) long grain and wild rice
30 oz. (approx.) chicken broth
2 10 oz. cans cream of mushroom soup
1-1/2 to 2 c. diced turkey
2 cups half and half
Salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS:

In large, heavy soup pot, brown bacon. Remove bacon to paper towel to drain. To remaining bacon grease, add 1 tablespoon of butter and then onion, celery, bellpepper, and mushrooms. Saute over medium heat, stirring often.

While vegetables are cooking, prepare Rice-a-Roni according to package directions.

When onions are cooked to the point of being translucent, add chicken broth, cream of mushroom soup, turkey, salt and pepper, cooked rice mix, and reserved bacon. Reduce heat to low/simmer and cover pot, stirring occasionally, for one hour. Add half and half and heat through before serving.

Seriously, make this soup; it's THAT good. And if you don't have any turkey? Go buy one just so you can make the soup! (But if you're still resistant, substituting chicken would probably still be pretty darn good!)

2 comments:

Pat S. said...

I'm going to try this tonight. I was getting a little tired of left over turkey..lol.
Thanks for sharing it Kim! Looks good, simple enough, and no far-out wacky ingredients to go buy!
:-)

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Sounds delicious! But I have no turkey and I don't like mushrooms. I'm sure I could substitute cream of chicken though. I'll have to remember this one.