Monday, January 19, 2009

In the Interests of Full Disclosure . . .

A blog post I read awhile back pondered the question of what we reveal--or choose not to reveal--about our lives to those who read our blogs. As bloggers, should we just talk about the good stuff? Or should we let some of the not-so-good stuff creep in occasionally?

Most of the time, I focus on writing about good and creative stuff because I'm pretty sure you don't read my blog to hear about an argument I had with Hubby, how someone at the office annoyed me, or the road rage I felt driving home from work. Every now and then, I share with you some of the less perfect occasions--like the rubber chicken dinner the other night. And that's not because I figure you're dying to read about rubber chicken but because that's really all I have for you at the time. Let's face it: sometimes nothing really happens to blog about.

But really, you should know that I'm not living a Martha Stewart (when she's not in jail) kind of life, although it may seem like it at times. And yes, as a matter of fact, I DO share with you some of the wonderful meals I cook. But it occurred to me tonight that perhaps I should set the record straight, lest you think I'm better than I really am. So, without further ado, here's a little tour of the culinary highlights of the weekend:


Friday night's dinner (and Saturday's lunch, eaten cold).


From Round Table Pizza, Saturday night's dinner (and Sunday morning's breakfast, eaten cold).


Sunday night's dinner (but probably not repeated for breakfast OR lunch on Monday, although it's too soon to tell). As you can see, more effort was put into Sunday night's dinner because, hey, Sunday nights are special. And in my defense, I also tossed a salad to go with.

Just keepin' it real.

13 comments:

Cheryl said...

I love this post!!!!! Nice to see we cook the same things :-)!!!

Shirley--Knot-y Embroidery Lady said...

You are a "real" person in my eyes. The "mature" readers know you are real. We all have different talents and reading about your talents is a joy. AND I absolutely love your writing style, talent, humor, ideas, kindness and most of all humaness (is there such a word?) You know what I mean.

AND you are very talented at picking where to eat out...

Keep on keeping on "keepin it real!"

Barbara said...

Kim that is what I love about reading your blog, you are just a real person living a real life. Never mind that you always make me smile when I read it! Thanks for the little bit of pleasure you add to my day.

MichelleB said...

Although I'm not proud of it, I think my cooking list for this weekend would be similar - just different eating establishments.

Unknown said...

You are so charming. Thank you for keeping it real. I just wish I was half as creative as you. May be when I grow up I will be like you! LOL! Have a great day!
Christy

Unknown said...

It's me again. I've been meaning to ask you how you go about or what is the best way to take apart the wool sweaters I have? Thanks for your help!
Christy

Anonymous said...

I always enjoy reading what you are up to and never think it comes off Martha Stewart style. :o) I don't write about the mundane, unhappy stuff much either. My blog, to me, is about the crafting, good parts of my life. If I want bad, all I have to do is turn on the TV!

Judy said...

Yea, I would have to agree. Sometimes it's just hard to think of what to write...and I'm not trying to post every day like you! I Like hearing about almost anything really...even the rubber chicken!

Shirley--Knot-y Embroidery Lady said...

Hey, just to clarify this morning.... Last night when in my coma, I wrote in my comment "mature" readers I did not realize the pun...(what I ment to express, was those of us who have been around the block (pun intended) (oh, dear, is this going to be a "punny" day), or I should speak for myself, over the hill, old as dirt group.

Just to clarify - LOL - I better stop before I pun my fingers in the keyboard keys and not be able to quilt today.

Greenmare said...

when you are creative people will make comments and tease you about being like Martha Stewart, and quite often we are leaning in that direction. however I do have my Rosanne Barr moments too. one of the best (funniest) cookbooks I ever read was called "the White Trash Cookbook". It had a lot of recipes with creasm of mushroom soup.

quiltmom anna said...

Hi Kim,
I agree with others who have commented- I love your zest for life, your ability see the funny parts of day to day life- I think you should write about the things you want to write about and what you are comfortable sharing- those are the things that make it real.

I personally don't want to write about the negative things that happen in life - that is not to say I don't have my own set of challenges, just that my blog is not the place where I feel like I want to talk about them. Other's do and I don't mind that either- I figure it is my blog and I write about the things that I feel comfortable sharing.
I love reading your blog and if I only have a few minutes to check the blogs- yours is right at the top.
Regards,
Anna

Busy Little Quilter said...

Oops! I read this and now I see that I didn't leave a comment. I know...I was on my other computer and it wouldn't let me leave comments.

This was a cute post. ☺

The Chicken Lady said...

Hee hee. At least we can all be comforted in the fact that we are not alone in this crazy busy world. :) Although, I'm a little jealous since the closest Panda Express is an hour and a half away and I'm pretty sure the closest Round Table Pizza place is about 2000 miles away. It's 3:40 p.m. and I'm not sure what's for dinner tonight. Probably popcorn chicken and fries from Sam's club. :)