Monday, December 29, 2008

All Good Things . . .

must come to an end, and the Christmas holiday weekend is well and truly over, although I must say I've tried to stretch it out as long as possible. Here it is, 1:15 a.m. and I have to go back to work tomorrow morning. Why is it that on weekend nights, I have no problem going to bed at a reasonable hour, but on nights when I have to go to work the next day, I'm a total night owl?

My house is cleaned and I played with sample blocks for the Valentine quilt class I'll be teaching. Yes, as a matter of fact, I was a VERY good girl about cleaning the house--in record time, I might add!--so off to the quilt shop I went. Mostly I wanted to get some fabric for sashings and borders for the class samples I'm working on.


The black with small flowers is for the sashing and the larger print fabric is for the border. Well, except then it occurred to me that I had some Mary Engelbreit fabric in my stash I might like better, so I got that out. I didn't get a photo though--I'll probably show you later.

I can see I'm going to have the same problem with my own quilt designs as I have with other people's quilt designs--I keep seeing things I want to change! I think it will work out okay though--I'm always being asked about my design process, so maybe this will give me a chance to talk about that in class.

Part of my housecleaning today involved clearing out some of the Christmas leftovers in the fridge as well as a few items that I think might have been in there since Christmas 2007! The more recent leftovers went into tonight's dinner. I had made fried wontons on Christmas and ended up with a LOT of leftover pork filling--seriously, the market only sold the pork in 1 pound packages, and I probably only used a couple ounces in the wontons. So I browned the mixture, added some Italian spices, and then added a jar of store-bought sauce.


When I was looking in the fridge to see what kind of cheese we had (some of which was kind of an icky fuzzy green!), I came across a pesto cheese and sundried tomato spread I'd served at Christmas, so I added some of that to the mix.


While that simmered, I cooked up some pasta, mixed it all together, and baked it for awhile in the oven.


Yummy! It drives Hubby crazy that some of our best meals come about this way--me throwing stuff together that just happens to be around and not remembering later how to recreate it. But I figure we just have to enjoy whatever it is while it lasts--just like the Christmas holidays! Life moves on and neither Christmas 2008 nor this particular pasta dish will come along again, but both have been great while they lasted!

8 comments:

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Yes, I'm with DH, that looks too yummy to forget, but you're right...enjoy the minutes and the fun while it's happening! Tracey

MichelleB said...

But now you have the secret concoction on your blog! So you CAN recreate the recipe. But not Christmas 2008 - that IS gone for good.

Red Geranium Cottage said...

Ok............I think that looks yummy. LOL!! The jury is still out. But it involves cheese....I think that was cheese. And pasta, love pasta. So yes, it looks yummy!!
Good luck wtih your Valentine quilt. So far it's looking good.

Judy said...

Well it would work for me, but no meat for hubby. That can sure kill a menu when your husband goes all veg!
Anyway...I like those Valentine fabrics and the class sample is coming along great. You could always discuss with them the changes they could make when you hold it up too!

Anonymous said...

YUM!! That looks fantastic. Were here ya go... you put it in your blog and now you have a reference :o)

Bonnie said...

I would love to sign up for your spring class with tulips and bunny. But, but, ... you are in California and I am in eastern Pennsylvania. Oh well. I will dream about the warmth and cute bunnies running about the land. And, wait for the next snow storm to hit. Exactly why did we end up in ne PA???? Happy Quilting.

Sherry said...

Hi Kim. Your left-over creation looks so yummy! So does your valentine quilt project. Love all those fabrics you are using.

Anonymous said...

Good Lord! Talk about blonde (which is under all the red) - when I was reading down through your other comments and I came to Sherry's "Hi Kim..." I nearly jumped out of my chair! I was thinking, "Wow! How did that person know I was reading these comments?? Spooky!" LMAO What a ditz I can be!

Anyway, about changing your quilt designs, it must be a "Kim Thing" cuz I can hardly get a pattern written because I am constantly changing it - for the better, usually, I think, but I wonder sometimes...

Geez Louise, I'm still wiping tears from my eyes from laughing at my own lunacy.