Saturday, July 19, 2008

Parlez-Vous Francais?

Knowing I wanted to do a little cooking this weekend, I decided to head out to the grocery store this morning for a few ingredients I didn't have in the house. And quite reasonably, I think, I decided to take the extremely long route to the store--the one that passes by the Goodwill store in the City of Citrus Heights.

Citrus Heights has always been a geographic section of the Sacramento area but only within the last several years has it become an incorporated city. And once it became a city, local government decided that everyone should drive excessively slow within its city limits. I'm certain they can't possibly understand the impossibility of driving slow when one is on one's way to a thrift store!

So I'm driving along, at a speed maybe just a tad over the speed limit, when I noticed an unmarked police car come up behind me with its siren on and flashing lights. Uh oh! Of course, my first thought was, "Is he pulling me over? If he's going to give me a ticket, I wonder if he'll let me take a photo of him for the blog?" But no, he changed lanes and went after someone else. Whew! Except I don't have a good photo for you of a Citrus Heights undercover officer writing me a ticket. Bummer! Not!

So what did I find at Goodwill? Well, I found a few little odds and ends, but today's treasure is an oak bench. They actually had two, but what would I do with two oak benches? And truth be told, it took me several minutes to figure out what I'd do with ONE oak bench, but here it is, sitting in the Wild Child's former room:


Someday if I ever have a house with an honest-to-God entryway or a mud room, I'd like to put a bench in it, but for now, this will do. It's also a nice size to use at our dining table if we have five or six people. So the bench has a new home and Hubby was pleased with it too.

Now, why am I speaking French to you? Because I made quiche tonight! My favorite, easiest quiche recipe lives in this little book, which I stole from my mother when I moved out a bazillion years ago--


And here's the recipe. I think if you click it larger, you can probably see the recipe pretty well.


One of the things I like about this recipe is that it uses ordinary milk. Just about everything in the recipe is stuff I have on hand all the time. Instead of bacon, you can use ham or sausage. I also toss in sliced green onion. You can change from Swiss cheese to another cheese if you prefer. You can add in spinach and/or mushrooms or whatever veggies you like--just cook them first and squeeze out all the moisture you can. In other words, it's a very versatile recipe. I've made a few minor variations over the years.

What I've found is that in order to make two pies--which I usually do because I often use purchased crusts (don't tell Red Geranium Sharon though--I have her half convinced that I'm Martha Stewart!)--I just make one and a half times the amount of "custard"--the milk, egg, butter, flour, and spices--called for in the recipe.

First I toss all my ingredients (in this case, diced leftover ham and sliced green onions) into the pie shells except the cheese . . .


Then I add shredded cheese (about 1/3 pound of shredded Swiss for each pie is fine although the recipe calls for 1/2 pound--whatever floats your boat works!) . . .


And then I just pour the custard in to the top and bake . . .


for around 40 minutes at 375 degrees. I cooked mine a little bit too long (because I was playing around in the Sweat Shop) but it was still quite delicious! And no, the top isn't actually burned--the photo looks a lot darker than it really was!


Yum! So go make some quiche, okay? Once you do, you too will be speaking French! Bon appetit!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just thought I'd leave you this little hint. I bought a protable little timer for just these occasions when I really am cooking but want to be sewing. I set the timer for about 5 minutes before whatever I'm cooking should be done and take it to the sewing room with me and when it goes off I head back for the kitchen. Has worked great for me.
Love your blog!

MichelleB said...

My girlfriend lives in Citrus Heights, but I can't say I've noticed the slow speed limits. lol I do know that she now has to pay for water, whereas before she didn't.

Lorraine said...

.....nice recipe...and excellent pick up at the thrift shop AGAIN....I must be shopping at the wrong shops!! LOL and great hint re the timer in the first comment....

Teresa said...

Now, if I could just get my family to eat quiche! Looks yummy, maybe I can try it for my quilting buddies some time. Great bench find.

Chocolate Cat said...

Love the oak bench - could you send me the other one?!!!! Bit disappointed there is no photo of a law enforcement officer to go with the photo of 'Doug'!! could be a whole new series.....

The Southern Mom said...

I love quiche...and the bench! (I was wondering what the title of this post was about!)

Have a good week!

SuBee said...

Oh man, that does it. I guess I'll have to make a trip to Sac just so I can find some bargains like that! ROFL! Seriously? That bench is a DIAMOND! What a score! And thanks for the good lookin' quiche recipe, Julia - that's a good one for sew day lunches......

Nan said...

What an adorable bench - you find the BEST treasures!
I had to laugh when I saw the recipe for Quiche Lorraine. My mother-in-law (who's no longer with us) considered herself a gourmet chef, and created Quiche Lorraine with a small amount of swiss cheese and a TON o' onion slices. The family always said Quiche Lorraine translated meant "onion pie". My husband and his sisters hated it as kids, needless to say.