Sunday, June 29, 2008

New Kid on the Block


On Saturday, I ventured out to the new quilt shop in town, Runs with Scissors. This is the one that's right next to a Goodwill store--heaven!

Unfortunately, I wasn't overly impressed with the new shop. It was a little sparse on stock, but I think that's to be expected with a new shop. Still, what she had didn't tempt me very much. That's not to say, though, that there aren't plenty of quilters out there who wouldn't love it; it's just not "me"--at least not what she has so far. She had plenty of batiks and a good variety of styles of fabrics, but not a whole lot of Moda. Of the Moda she had, she didn't have any charm packs but did have a few jelly rolls and layer cakes. I was slightly tempted by Sandy Gervais' new Christmas line--I can't remember the name of it--but I keep looking at it and thinking how much it looks like the Holly Jolly line--the one I still have plenty of!

And I was really trying hard to find something to buy, because it seemed like that was the only way I was going to get to talk to the shop owner or the gal helping her. The whole time I was in the shop, no one greeted me and they barely glaced my way. I wanted to get a couple photos to share with you because the displays were pretty cute, but it seemed rude to start taking photos without asking first; so I hung around and hung around, looking at everything several times and thinking maybe someone would notice me, but it never happened, so I finally left the shop. I DID take a couple photos of the window displays--I think somebody did TOO GOOD a job washing those windows, though, because mostly I got reflections! LOL!



And to be fair, I'll go back. I'll give her a month or so to get her stock in and settle into running a retail business. One of the things I like about the shop is that she stays open until 8 p.m. on Wednesdays, so if I need to get something after work, I can go there and do my shopping--none of the other local shops stay open past 6 p.m. Another thing I like? Besides the fact that it's next door to Goodwill? There's a Starbucks just on the other corner! It would be nice to head out on a Saturday to hunt for treasures at Goodwill, pick up a little new fabric and a quilting magazine, and then go over to Starbucks to dream and plan what I'm going to do with my new purchases while sipping on an iced latte. And hopefully next time I go in, I won't be quite so invisible and I can ask if it's okay to take some photos to share with you!

Well, the weekend's over and work is just a few hours away. Time to get my beauty sleep! I hope you had a wonderful weekend!

11 comments:

Carol said...

Kim, the Sandy Gervais fabric looks the same as last years fabrics because she used the same color pallet. The new line is called Merry and Bright. There is a little blog entry from her on the Jolly Jabber (Fat Quarter Shop). She talks all about the fabric line and how last years Holly Jolly was so successful that they decided to keep the same color pallet. Anyway, just thought I would throw that in.

MichelleB said...

Can you please tell me what is up with quilt stores that act that way? I just don't get it.

You are very nice to want to go back - hopefully they'll be nicer next time!

Nancy said...

Not only should they acknowledge you, but they should remember you the next time you go back!! I hate any small store that doesn't at least look up and wave or say "welcome". Hopefully someone will clue them in....and say hi the next time you visit....

Michelle said...

Just discovered your blog (via Patchalot!). I enjoyed spending some time reading your posts! I love the prairie paisley fabric and the quilt you made...very nice!

Miss Jean said...

A group of us went to Sacramento to go to another store Saturday (BP&HH). They are ALWAYS the nicest shop to go into. They knew we were coming so they had refreshments waiting for us. The first time I was there I got a guided tour of the shop. We didn't go to the new one because I knew the stock would probably be low and they would need to get the kinks out. Hopefully they will. This is not the economy to not be customer oriented.

debijeanm said...

I'm on vacation and barely keeping up with reading my favorite bogs. Haven't even tried responding until now but in catching up just now read your romance request. Know you have enough for now but for the future my two cents is on LaVryle Spencer. She wrote about twenty books, then retired but as far as I know they're all in print. Morning Glory is my favorite but they're all good and all historically accurate.

Nora Roberts more recent books (love the trilogies) are terrific. Her men are the best! But she is the perfect example of someone whose writing style improved over time. They keep reissuing her older books and she just wasn't that good in her early years.

I am a big Evanovich fan, too. I heard rumors that there was a Plum movie in the works with Sandra Bullock but the rumor died.

Your observation about the quilt shop not being "you" reminded me of my trips with my mom. We've taken three trips from SoCA to the midwest and use quilt shops instead of rest areas for breaks during the trip. We've probably visited thirty different quilt shops taking the 15 from SaCA north through the tip of Nevada into Utah, then up through Utah to the 80, then halfway across country to Kansas. No two are alike and USUALLY we wouldn't find the same fabric in two shops. Amazing how different they can be.

BTW, if you're ever in the Salt Lake are my two favorite shops are Corn Wagon Quilts in Springville (even my husband likes to visit this one) and Quilts, Etc., Etc., Etc. in Sandy. The latter has spread into three different buildings and is quite an experience.

Anonymous said...

All your favourites in a row! That are going to be expensive trips *lol*. But seriously:how unprofessional not to even say "hello" to customers.There's a shop like that overhere too. They have great sales and such but we hardly ever go there: the people just aren't friendly.
About your batting; I was a bit dissapointed too that it wasn't bigger :) oh...and happy birthday wishes for you DH! Great gift too!

Yvonne said...

Hmmmmm.....they couldn't even say hi to you. Doesn't seem like she will do well....we quilters are such a friendly group. Maybe she's not one??????
I hope you got lots of beauty sleep!

Nan said...

I hate it when I walk into a quilt shop, and no one says squat or diddley to me - how unfriendly is that? I do like where it is situated, though - near to all your fave shops!

Sarah Nopp said...

I hope your new shop gets braver and more friendly. I love the new shop here. The whole sparseness thing does go away... and now I know where all the new things are when they come in! And your shop does have a great name.

Anonymous said...

Kim,
Found your blog while looking for new website for Runs With Scissors Quilt shop. Was surprised to find so many pictures of the shop posted on the blog-nice of the owner to let you do that-was very surprised about your first visit. The one thing that is so fantastic about this shop is how friendly everyone there is and so helpful. It's my favorite place to go and I have heard numerous positive comments about this shop and the owner all over town.