Friday, May 23, 2008

A Room Without Walls

At work, I sit in a cubicle all day long. The "walls" on two sides rise only to about elbow height. Great for leaning; lousy for passing by too closely and hitting an elbow. The third "wall" rises a little bit above my head. The fourth "wall" isn't--it's pretty much just an opening so I can get in and out.

The cubicles are very public because the office floor plan is open. The office is nicely decorated, and because of these things, personalizing our cubicles to any great degree is discouraged.

This morning I sat in my cubicle and looked around me. I had a couple photos of my kids in frames that were given to me at one time or another by the office. I had a small, kinda ugly little wicker basket on my desk for holding binder clips. Another office freebie, a Sacramento Zoo coffee cup, held my pencils and pens. Speaking of coffee cups, the transfered picture on the outside of my cup was wearing off and fading after daily use for about the past ten years. My paperclips were contained in a cut glass candy dish--something else that was given to me at some time by the office and originally filled with candy, no doubt. In other words, nothing around me was really "me." And I realized that all of these things could be replaced with things I enjoy looking at without breaking the office rules.

So, that's my latest "mission." Fixing up my office work space--a place I spend so much of my time--to reflect my personality and taste. And I knew just where to start--Goodwill! My binder clips now rest in a cheerful yellow bowl. My pens and pencils seem much happier in a green, polka dotted cup. A white bowl picked up at another Goodwill on the way home from work will hold my paperclips. And my old coffee cup will soon be replaced by a Mary Engelbreit cup. I've brought the kids' photos home so I can replace the frames sometime this weekend. I also have some ideas for making a couple bookends. And have you seen the free tissue box pattern at Connecting Threads? I think I need to make one of those for sure!

I DID think about how funny it would be if I put up some kind of frame around the cubicle and hung curtains, but I'm pretty sure that would only last about a half a minute. Still, maybe it's something to keep in mind for next April Fool's Day! In the meantime, there are a lot of things I can do to make my cubicle my own. I've been with the firm around 15 years now; I guess it's about time to face the fact that I'll likely be there awhile longer and make my surroundings more enjoyable.

But enough about work--the weekend is here, and I am SOOOOO ready for it! I've been playing in the Sweat Shop this evening, framing the floral embroidery I found during a previous thrift shopping spree and sprucing up some of my other thrift store finds. Next on my weekend "to do" list is sleeping in, and I think it's about time to get started on that one. I hope you have a wonderful weekend planned!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

No pictures of your new items. Gee!!!

QuiltingFitzy said...

I work for the Gov't. We are allowed one black framed photo, and one calendar. All accessories must be black. No doo-dads or fluff. Bor-ring.

I'm thinking of making a shades of gray log cabin jacket (with red centers). Not for me, but to sit (forever) on the back of my chair.

We may only have cups with lids, I'm thinking of a paper-pieced cup cozy.

The calendar, I'm thinking it will be like the journal covers and have velcro on the top so I can change the quilt blocks.

I'm going to beat them at their own game. This is SO my mother, lol. The quiet rebel.

Anonymous said...

Wow I didn't realise there were rules about "decorating" your work space. I'm not in a cubicle, but me space is so small without doors, it might as well be a cubicle. I've complained about not having a window or a door, but I should be happy we don't have rules. I have a miniature quilt on my wall right now, and I change it every so often with quilted wall hangings.
Please show us a picture when you're finished fixing up your space. I can't wait to see it.

Anonymous said...

Wow! They don't seem to mind what you keep on your desk at my office. For that I'm lucky. I guess different law firms have different ideas of stuff. We are also allowed to have tattoos and piercings at mine. And we are a large New York based firm, go figure! I myself have two tattoos and my nose is pierced! I guess that's what I like about working there, how many places allow that.

Unknown said...

I have a mini quilt I made some time ago pinned to the notice board I face at my desk - it serves as a reminder of why I have to work - partly to pay the bills but also to fund my hobby - when things get seriously stressy I take a moment out to look at it

Chocolate Cat said...

Enjoy your 'new' work space! I find just even having a nice coffee cup helps make it that much more enjoyable.

Anonymous said...

I'm literally in a cage! (My current position at the post office is supply clerk.) The walls around me are pepto-bismol pink concrete and then there's a lovely cage wall and door..lol.

I took one the those new fabric landscape prints that look like a forest with a stream and river rocks. Cut it up into rectangles and used wood grain fabric for lattice and borders. It looks like a window now hanging over my desk. My boss loves it and wants one for her office now! LOL.
Patty S.