Saturday, October 27, 2007

Trees on the Table Challenge


Woo-hoo! I've started! I have all my fabrics picked out, I've made the template for cutting the tree pieces, and I've started cutting strips. I'll post photos to my blog as I go, so check back frequently if you're interested. I did find an error on the directions, I believe. Marcie says to use 5 different green prints for the trees and the larger picture of the quilt looks like the trees have 5 strips, but you'll really need 6--look at the pictures of the blocks themselves. So if you haven't started yet, please make this change. If I find other errors, I'll post them.

I'm cutting enough to make two toppers--one for me and one for a Christmas gift. I think it's probably just as easy to make two as it is to make one.

I'm also strip piecing the tree trunk section rather than making the trunks individually--since I need 8 trunks for the two quilts, that makes sense to me. I also think that the gold background on either side of the trunk needs to be cut at 2-1/2" by 3" (rather than 3-1/2") but I haven't gotten that far yet--just wanted to alert you if your section turns out too wide; you can just trim an equal amount from each side. I'll confirm that, though, once I get to that part. I'm trying to do most of my cutting first before I get to the sewing.

Thanks for joining in!

9 comments:

Mar said...

Oh goodie, keep us posted, lookin good! I really want to do this!

Kairle Oaks said...

I've got mine part way finished. I'll post a picture when it's finished!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have been busy. Good you saw the bugs before sewing. I guess I won't get to this over the weekend. Life just got in the way. DH got up and wanted to go to an auction. Since we spend very little time together in the Summer(because of golf course)I felt obligated. Of course everything I might have bought went to high. LOL! Tomorrow we have a get together with his family before some of them leave Monday for Florida. Now mind you I would rather be sewing than listening to them all whine, but I have to be a good girl. They just aren't any fun anymore. DH is one of the younger kids. I will be thinking of all of you sewing.

Linda

MARCIE said...

Kim, I actually used two strips of one of the fabrics, but I didn't make that clear. I'll go back and change that/ Thanks for pointing it out. I did say they were "bare-bones" directions! Ha! Go ahead--keep me honest!

Unknown said...

I've sent Kim my center picture. All I need to do is the candy cane border.

Hope you show how to sew that pinwheel center patially, kim. I didn't think about taking a picture. This is really cute.

Nan said...

I actually did 7 strips, just becuz I liked the look better! Thanks for the update on your progress. Your fabrics look great! I will come back and see how you're doing, and maybe you'll show us how easily it goes together. I like your idea of strip piecing the trunk - you are a smart girl!! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Well, I.........didn't do any of it today. LOL!!! Kim are ya surprised??? I have an excuse though this time. I was teaching. Maybe tomorrow I'll whip one out. Then again.....

Mar said...

I keep coming back looking for an update, did you pass out in the sweat shop? I'm concerned!

Libby said...

Quilted, bound, and fresh from the dryer. I posted a pic on my blog. I made the same cutting adjustments you have mentioned and did my own inner border treatment.