Sunday, October 14, 2007

Ta-Da! and Ta-Da!



Two accomplishments today! Not bad, but I was shooting for three. First of all, that 9 Can Soup I promised--that was the easiest accomplishment! We haven't eaten our dinner yet, but at least it's close enough for photos.

The Ingredients:





2 cans of Tamales
2 cans of no bean chili
2 cans of beans--any kind
1 can of corn
1 can of hominy
1 can diced tomatoes
1 small can of diced chiles

I know that actually adds up to 10 cans--I added an extra can of beans because I couldn't decide between kidney beans and black beans, so I went with both. Just dump everything in the crockpot, liquid and all. Except the tamales. Those will be wrapped in paper, so remove the paper, slice the tamales around 1/4 inch, and then add the sliced tamales and liquid to the pot.


I cooked mine on high for about 5 hours and it seems ready although it could cook longer.



Then, my other accomplishment today was to get a back pieced for the Halloween quilt I'm making for my son and to get the quilt pinned. Front:



Back:



Yeah, I think it can be reversible. I didn't have enough of any one fabric or anything in my stash I liked for a back, so I ended up pretty much making another front. I'm just going to do a fairly quick all-over meander and call it done. I think my son will like it. I sent the other Halloween quilt off to my daughter in the mail, so I had to make sure I made one for my son too!

And what didn't I get done? I wanted to get my quilt from Friday night's class pinned but I didn't get a back made for that one, since the Halloween quilt took so much time. Well, there's always next weekend!

Now I'm off to make a salad to go with that soup. Yum!

14 comments:

Unknown said...

OH, that almost smells clear to the east coast. So good I bet. But my DH wouldn't eat it and I sure wouldn't make it for myself. But with a salad a great dinner.

Cute halloween quilt for DS.

Granny said...

Thanks for the recipe. Love your Halloween quilt. Two out of three is a great accomplishment!

Anonymous said...

Very productive day Kim. The soup sounds delicious, but it would not be good for my DH's stomach problems. I am going to ask DD to make it and give me some. I will even buy the ingredients.

The quilt back is cut and two in one is great.

Linda Z

Mar said...

Whew, I didn't want to tell you that you needed to learn how to count! The soup looks wonderful, and love what you did with the reversable quilt!

Carol said...

I can smell it here in Florida...I will be making a batch of that...looks yummy. The Halloween quilt is great...love that it is reversible.

Anonymous said...

Well holy crap!! Look at you and that reversible quilt. And that soup!!!! It looks sooooo good. I'll try that when I get home.
and about that chin hair you talked about a few post ago......

Pat said...

Yowzer! Is your mouth still on fire??? I think I'll wait for an answer before I run to the store and buy this stuff..lol.

Green chiles, hot beanless chili, and tomatoes with jalapeno? You're a tougher woman than I am, Kim! I was sort of expecting to read that breathing this in would take care of those stray nose hairs at the same time ;-)

The quilt looks cute! You are really cranking those quilts out. Way to go!

MARCIE said...

Gosh Kim, take a breath and let the rest of us catch up! I suppose that soup will put a fire in the furnace tho. The quilt is so adorable, both sides! Did the soup turn out as good as it looks? That would go well with the corn pudding recipe on my blog!

Kairle Oaks said...

Great quilt back, Kim. Have you just about used up all of your odds and ends from that line now? I'm sure your son will love it!

Now that looks like a dinner that I could handle! My taco soup recipe is pretty similar...lots of canned goods. I hope it tastes as good as it looks!

Nicole said...

Oh my gosh, what a great idea for those days when you want a good dinner but have no time to do anything! Your Halloween quilts are terrific!

Cheryl said...

That will be a great camping recipe! Love that Halloween quilt!

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Yum!! It would kill my husband...but be nice for me!! Tracey

Nan said...

Okay, Kim! I need to be adopted by you - NOW!! Love the quilt! Your children are very lucky to have such a talented mama!
That soup looks delish, and no messy clean up, eh?

The Chicken Lady said...

The soup looks great. Something to eat on a day like we had yesterday, blustery and rainy. :) But, I LOVE the quilt. I NEED to get some of those fabrics. I just looked at another quilt out of the same and I just love them! :)