Friday, July 13, 2007

Friday the 13th!

,

Call me slow, but yesterday, when I was thinking about payday today, I realized it was Friday the 13th. Are you superstitious?

Looking at a bit of Friday the 13th lore and history, I found that Fridays, in our western culture, have generally been thought to be unlucky. Beginning a couple hundred years ago, people began to believe that it was unlucky to begin anything on a Friday. A few weeks ago, I was watching Deadliest Catch and a couple of the crab boat captains said they'd never leave port on a Friday to begin a journey. I suppose in a job fraught with peril, superstitions will prevail, and sailing men have held their particular superstitions for centuries.

I kind of like Fridays. Okay, I like them a lot! Friday means the end of the work week, a two-day weekend to look forward to when I can hang around the hosue in my jammies half the day if I want to. Friday often means picking up dinner on the way home from work. What could be bad about Fridays?

I've always bucked tradition, and I decided long ago that Friday the 13th was a LUCKY day for me. If nothing else, it usually meant an early payday! Our last Friday the 13th wasn't so lucky though, so I'm looking at the start of today with a little bit of trepidation. Last Friday the 13th, which fell in April, was a rotten day at work. Although I can't remember the specifics, I do remember that one annoying thing after the other seemed to take place all day long. Finally, when I got home from work that evening, my mom called and told us my dad had a bleed in his brain and wasn't expected to live. Boy, talk about bad luck, huh?

But maybe it's just APRIL Friday the 13ths that are unlucky? Maybe July Friday the 13ths are jam-packed with luck and happiness?! I think that for the most part, we make our own luck--good things happen when we take steps and do things to MAKE them happen. I wish I could call in to work sick and stay home and quilt--that would certainly be lucky, wouldn't it? But no, I'll go in and work. But I'll do whatever I can today to make happy things take place, and if that means picking up dinner on the way home from work, then I will. And if it means having ice cream for dessert tonight, then so be it. And if it means a trip to the quilt shop during my lunch hour, then I guess I'll just have to make that sacrifice! One way or the other, I'm going to have a LUCKY Friday the 13th, and I hope you do too!

6 comments:

Yvonne said...

Here's to hoping that many lucky
things come your way today!

SuBee said...

Friday the 13ths and full moons do have their share of problems, but MONDAYS should be the ones everyone fears! Those are the rottenest days of the week, IMHO. You're going to have a great day!

Anonymous said...

You are so fearless to make such sacrifices for a lucky Friday the 13th. LOL I hope that it was all that you wanted and expected.

Sharon

Anonymous said...

Certainly has seemed to be lucky for me. An early BD present. Thanks again.

Hope it turns out the same for you. Eileen

Vicky said...

I think you swooped up all the lucky things today. My day was rotten. But, hey, I made it home, so that's a good thing! LOL

Patti said...

Friday the 13th to me means we don't get paid until Monday! :-( If Friday is the 14th we are paid - if Friday is the 13th we are paid on Monday the 16th. If Monday the 16th happens to be a holiday we aren't paid until Tuesday! I like your job's system better!