Sunday, June 10, 2007

The Wild Child Returns



The Wild Child stopped by today on her way back to Tahoe from the Bay Area.

Earlier in the week, she called me to see if I could check something online for her, and by the end of the conversation, I had placed an order for her for a ticket to a concert at the Shoreline Amphitheater in Mountain View that showcased a ton of bands. Remember me talking about my tendency toward the hermit thing? I have no problem spending quality time in the company of myself. I'm fairly independent. Still, I don't think I would ever have considered traveling four hours to a somewhat distant city to attend an all day concert by myself, but to the Wild Child, it's no big deal and that's exactly what she did.

She had a wonderful time and met some interesting people, although she said she had the most fun just watching everyone. I can't remember their names, but she spent quite a bit of the concert with this couple:




That photo at the top? That's the Wild Child on the left; her new BFF is the gal on the right. They also met up with this guy, Lars Petrus:


Lars revolutionized Rubik's Cubing by inventing some method for solving the puzzle quicker, and he held the Swedish national title at one time--or something like that. How do I know? Believe it or not, you can find him in Wikipedia. Between the Wild Child, Lars, and the couple, they had two Rubik's Cubes with them. Is Rubik's Cube big again or did my daughter just fall in with a bunch of nerds?

One of the reasons the Wild Child stopped here today, besides soaking in the familial love, was to download some photos from her camera--which is why mom (me!) has all these photos to share with you.

Last weekend she went, again by herself, to hike Yosemite. Beautiful photos of that adventure. Here's one of Half Dome:



Now if you look real close, you can see a darkish line traveling up the rounded back side of the rock. See that just above the one bush on the left? You should be able to click on the photo to enlarge it. That's some kind of cable railing system (because the darn thing is so steep) with people climbing up it. I was pleased to hear that the Wild Child had decided she was a little too tired to attempt the rest of that climb up the rock. I was, however, somewhat dismayed and slightly panicked to hear that she's going back next weekend to make the climb.

If you've read my earlier posts about traumatically scary stuff like driving over bridges, you'll understand that the idea of the Wild Child climbing up Half Dome scares the heck out of me! But I've decided to forget she said anything--I don't know anything, I never heard her say it, and it's just not going to happen. Humph. No, instead, I'll think happy thoughts about rainbows . . .



and rushing streams.


After the Wild Child left, when I was fixing my hair, I thought for a minute that my hair was getting a few highlights in it from the summer sun. When I looked closer, though, I realized it's just a few more gray hairs.

I think I'll go back to my happy place now, taking my iced latte with me. There I'll feel comforted by the nice, pretty fabric surrounding me, and I'll look forward to something slighly more calming, like the finale of the Sopranos.

7 comments:

Leah Spencer said...

I wouldn't worry TOO much about the Half Dome climb - my dad, brother and sister have done it. Although my dad did make my brother stay behind my sister because she's not very physically strong, and if she fell, it was up to lil bro to save her life. ;)

Also, bro climbed half way up, before oops, he remembered that he was supposed to be behind my sister, so back down to sister, back up again. Of course, that just might be the energy of an 18 year old talking. :)

QuiltingFitzy said...

Shoreline Amphitheater is a great place for music, traffic gets a little insane and parking is unreal, but that's s'valley for you!

Leah Spencer said...

Ain't that the truth Fitzy?! Top of it all, I used to work within the walking distance of the Amphitheater and would go there with my dog or bike on slow work days. (I was a license-less gal, waiting on my dad to be done for my ride home, who worked at the same place).

Kairle Oaks said...

So I guess you don't want me to mention that a tourist fell off a 600 ft. cliff this week in Zion Natl. Park?

BTW, you can't get summer highlights when you work in an office by day and in the sweat shop by night.

Enjoy that iced latte!

(Sorry...I'm feeling pretty naughty tonight!)

MichelleB said...

Well, she sure is beautiful, that wild child. And while I feel a bit like you about not venturing too far to spend by myself, dang, do I admire her.

atet said...

Our children do seem to add to the grey hairs don't they? But I must say I admire the heck out of the wild child for being brave enough to ebrace these adventures on her own. Not sure I would have the courage. No, scratch that -- I KNOW I don't. Now, give me a large city to wander in by myself -- that is an entirely different kettle of fish.

Anonymous said...

That Wild Child can sure take some good pictures. Did she know you were going to share with us in cyber space? The rainbow is awesome.
Sure glad I didn't know about some of the things mine did at that age.

Eileen