Friday, February 28, 2014

Venice

One of the (many!) block of the month projects I've started this year is Pat Sloan's Globetrotting.  In January we made the center block which was to represent Washington, D.C.  In honor of that central block and our country . . . and because I don't have nearly enough red, white, and blue quilts . . . I thought I'd try a red, white, and blue color palette.  I posted a photo of that central block back in January.

For February, Pat Sloan's block was to represent Venice.  Here's my interpretation of the theme:


The darker blue represents the water that surrounds Venice, and the blue corner squares are the sky where it meets the water.  I thought I'd bring some golden brown into the palette, and that represents the stairs and walkways of the city.  The center red square represents the public squares and the Italian tiles.

Here are the first two blocks together.


The next world city block will be revealed on Saturday.  I wonder what Pat has planned for us next?

3 comments:

Sandy said...

Nice. I like that you came up with a red/white/blue color scheme does not look "patriotic". Great block designs. Looking forward to seeing more as this progresses.

Anna said...

I am loving it!

Anonymous said...

Very striking blocks! Love them together!