Monday, January 20, 2014

Leftovers

Remember I talked about how I made half square triangles from the "waste" corners I cut off the snowman heads/snowball blocks?  I mentioned that I'd used those half square triangles in another project I was working on this weekend, and now that I've finished it, I can show you what I was doing.  Ta-da!


I know--most of the time when we get scrappy little leftover pieces, we put them away.  Rarely do we immediately build a whole project around them.  And I'm no different, of course, but this time the idea of a line of snowman heads tickled my imagination, and I didn't want to wait to complete the larger mystery block of the month project.  So I used the half square triangles and some other scrappy leftovers from the original row project to make more snowman heads and then I turned them into a snowman runner with the addition of a little more fabric from my stash.

I'm always looking for decorating ideas to span the time between Christmas and spring, so combining snowmen and hearts into a runner seemed like the perfect idea. For those of you who like playing with scraps, I hope my little idea sparks your imagination for using leftovers.  Sometimes trying to use up the bits and pieces that are left at the end of a project brings out our creativity and leads to some fun results!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great idea, as always!
Jana

Linda said...

Kim,

That is just darling. You're so creative.

Quilt Doodle Designs said...

Adorable!

Maryjo said...

Your runner is darling! Most creative!

Teatime Creations said...

What a wonderful idea. Very pretty. love the snowmen hats.

Auntie Em said...

That is so cute! I love your addition of hats and a scarf to the snowmen.

Pokey said...

Very clever! love the combo of snowmen and hearts...what's not to love?
:-}pokey

Diane said...

Really stinkin' cute!

Kristy said...

So cute! Love the colors and the snowmen's hats. Glad to see you have had some time to be sewing again. We love to see your projects. K-

KMSC said...

Very cute runner, Kim! Thanks for sharing.

Bonnie said...

too, too cute. I'd love the pattern but knowing me I would never do it. great inspiration.

Patty said...

so very quilt. i saved my snowmen triangles as well. what a good way to use them!