Sunday, June 17, 2012

Love/Hate Relationship

Food. Or more specifically, cooking. I love it and I hate it.

On weekdays Hubby cooks, so weekend cooking is up to me. Sometimes, like this weekend, I'll decide to do only minimal cooking--throw something simple on the grill for dinner and spend the maximum amount of time in the Sweat Shop that I possibly can.

Then I'll start getting crazy ideas. Why don't I just whip up a quick mac 'n cheese for lunch? And veggie sticks for a snack? After all, we have to eat, right? And it really won't take that long. Elbow macaroni practically cooks itself, and it only takes a few minutes to make a white sauce. With melted cheese. After that, the mixture can be poured into a dish and slid into the oven and left for awhile until it turns into a quagmire of bubbly goodness with a cheesy brown crust on top. And the fresh veggies--red bellpepper and carrots--they taste so good and are healthy too. Slicing and peeling shouldn't take too long, should it?

An hour later, I'm back in the Sweat Shop, well fed and happy. That wasn't so bad, really. I remind myself I really SHOULD get up and move around a bit anyway. Now I can get down to it.

But soon I have to stop and run a few errands. A couple hours later finds me back in the Sweat Shop--finally. Now for some quality applique time, just me and Merry Merry Snowmen.

Again the crazy ideas come. Wouldn't grilled shrimp marinaded in garlic and a pineapple juice reduction be delicious? Served over a bed of chicken stock-cooked rice and sliced green onions, yum! And coconut goes with pineapple, right? Maybe I could toast a little coconut to sprinkle over. With just a little chopped parsley and chopped basil.

Two hours later, I finally make it back into the Sweat Shop.

As I stitch, another crazy though sneaks up on me. It's almost Father's Day and Hubby loves cream puffs. Surely it would be fairly quick to make instant chocolate pudding. And then the cream puffs. And then the homemade whipped cream to go on top.

Another couple hours and I'm back at applique when a final crazy thought knocks on the door. Wouldn't this be a good time to take a nice, relaxing bath and get ready for bed? A full stomach has made me sleepy and lazy. Applique will have to wait until tomorrow. And tomorrow I'll guard against crazy thoughts and have a more productive day. Then again, it IS Father's Day, and I really should cook a few of Hubby's favorites, shouldn't I?

4 comments:

Teresa in Music City said...

Everything sounds so yummy!!! I sure do wish I liked to cook the way you do :*) It has never been my thing, and my poor husband has to eat my pitiful excuses for meals - okay it's really not that bad, but I never think how fun it would be to "whip up a little something".

McIrish Annie said...

I do the same thing. Some days I love cooking and others you are lucky to get a bowl of cereal. Like the grilled shrimp idea!

Anonymous said...

Oh Kim...Thanks for the great pineapple, coconut shrimp idea! Not cooking today tho as our local son and family have invited us for a poolside Fathers' Day BBQ along with some of their friends. We'll be sizzling this afternoon in the valley heat!
Launa

Shirley--Knot-y Embroidery Lady said...

I hear you! Interesting how "cooking" sucks up time and energy. That's why I don't cook - kidding. In my sister's home they have popcorn for Sunday dinner, have had for years. How does one get away with that, eh,?!