Thursday, December 15, 2011

On The First Day of Christmas . . .

Today was my first day of this year's Christmas gatherings and gift exchanges and it started out in a very challenging manner. First, I was a little late to work because I hadn't allowed myself enough time to wrap the gifts for the exchanges. Then, when I got to work, I realized I'd left my reading glasses at home--and I can barely read the computer screen without them. My office manager came through with a spare pair, but after a couple hours, I had to make a run to the drug store to buy a pair because the ear pieces of the borrowed pair were uncomfortable.

After that, though, the day got better.

First, we had our office holiday party at a local restaurant. As we were walking the couple blocks from the parking garage, we passed NBA basketball player Peja Stojakovic. We have no idea what he was doing in Sacramento since he plays for the Dallas Mavericks, but maybe he was visiting friends or family here--he played for the Kings for several years.

The appetizers and cocktails were most excellent and we played that Mad Santa gift game, where you can either open a new gift or steal something that's already been opened. I brought two gifts because (1) I thought they were so silly, they'd provide some entertainment and (2) I was pretty sure at least one person would forget to bring a gift. Here's what I brought:



And yes, they were both popular gifts and were stolen a few times before settling in with their new owners.

And what did I end up with? Well, I didn't take a photo, but it was a decorative Christmas plate that looks a bit like fused glass. I bought myself one last year at Pier 1 and the one I stole today is a match for that one. Much, MUCH better than a basketball net to wear on the head, believe me.

After that, I headed to the next event--our Thimbleberries Club end of the year party.

Throughout the year, those of us who completed a large quilt using Thimbleberries fabric and brought it in for show and tell got a ticket for the end of the year drawing. We did the same thing with Thimbleberries mini quilts. Well, I'm pretty excited to tell you that this year, I won the prize for the big quilts! Woo-hooooo!

My prize was a tabletopper/wallhanging sized quilt made by our two teachers/leaders; after I opened the package, all of our members signed it--


Isn't it a great momento of a year spent with friends? I also won a gift certificate to the quilt shop. Can't beat that, right?!

Our Thimbleberries Club also had a gift exchange, and the gift I brought for that one was that first darker little Santa wallhanging I made last weekend--


Pam got my gift and has already posted a "thank you" on my blog. Most of the gift givers remained anonymous, but there are a couple people who read my blog and recognized it, so it wasn't a secret for long! Pam is an excellent quilt maker and designer, so I know Santa's gone to a good home!

And the gift I drew? A box of See's candy! Isn't it funny the way we all recognize the size and shape of a See's candy box? I've stashed it in the Sweat Shop for those times when I need a little chocolaty energy to keep me going. Which is pretty much constantly at this time of the year!

Still to come in the next few days? Friday evening, I'm meeting a friend to exchange gifts. Saturday evening another friend is having a holiday gathering. And on Sunday, Hubby's family is having their Christmas gathering. And although I still have a few things to prepare, I'm also looking forward to having just as much fun as I did today.

3 comments:

Miss Jean said...

That's the one thing I miss about not working. I miss the Christmas parties and all the gift exchanges and fun we had.

Anna said...

I had to work the day of my quilt groups gift exchange! I heard it was down and dirty. Bend does not have a year round See's candy just a temp store that opens in the month of Dec. I love it!

The gifts were great but I especially loved the signature quilt, such a wonderful memory.

Me and My Stitches said...

Sounds like a fun day (after a bit of a rough start!). How exciting that you won the quilt!