Saturday, February 19, 2011

Pride and Joy

Do you remember Ted? He's the attorney in my office who, in his spare time, is the lead singer for a local band, The Q-Balls. I talked about him before when we had our firm "event" at the zoo. Remember?

Well, at another firm "event," our annual holiday lunch, the partners auctioned off various and sundry "services" they had donated, and all proceeds went to a local animal shelter called Happy Tails. Ted's "service" was to take the winner's turn at cleaning the office refrigerator, a task done on a rotating basis by all of the office's secretarial and admin staff. (Yeah, I know--a fairly feudal system really, but no one's elevated me to queen yet, so I don't have the power to institute more democratic policies.)

Anyway, since Ted also sings pretty darn well, we challenged him to sing while he cleaned the fridge. And today was his turn to clean.

So, for your enjoyment, here's Ted.


And while he cleaned the fridge, he sang, a capella, Stevie Ray Vaughn's song, Pride and Joy. You can play the You Tube version, with lyrics, while you watch Ted clean. I know it's not quite the same as actually being there, but it's the best I can do.


Bet you've never seen an attorney clean a refrigerator before, have you? See the paper towel in his hand? That's so he didn't actually have to touch anything icky.


Okay, I have to tell you the truth. Attorneys don't clean refrigerators. They have staff to do it. Poor Ted really had no idea what needed to be done. We tried to explain to him how he needed to check "sell by" dates and remove anything that looked like a science project, but I don't really think he got it.


Still, he sang darn well, so that made up for it. See how he's kind of bent over in the photo above? He actually wrote some refrigerator-cleaning lyrics to go with the tune. Yep, the fun never ends at our office. Now we just need to get the partner who donated a day of his time to staff one of the secretary's desks to pay up. I'll keep you posted.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Can he come to my house? I love Stevie Ray Vaughn and having my refrigerator cleaned by someone who sings it would be a real treat!!

Jean Burke said...

This is hilarious - and he's dressed much nicer than I am when I clean my fridge. Thanks for the song! Piece....

Dirt Road Quilter said...

Sounds like you work with a great bunch! What a fantastic combination - a man who sings AND cleans the refrigerator. Probably won't be happening anytime soon around here. LOL! But it's s fun way for them to see how the 'other half' lives! Grin!

Marla said...

What a great way to start my Saturday morning! I am going to a Blues concert tonight so this just jump started the fun! Hope you have a great weekend.-Marla

AnnieO said...

Lots of attorneys are frustrated performers--I know several who sing and act in their spare time, and do it very well. Congrats to Ted.

My DH sings this SRV song in his band--one of his favorites! I believe I am referenced in the lyrics...well, when DH sings it anyway, LOL!

Melissa said...

Fun addition to my day:) I had to share the song on FaceBook, too!!!

Miss Jean said...

I as always one of the ones at work that cleaned the staff refrigerator. We would post warning notes that we would clean on Friday and if you didn't want your stuff thrown away to lable it to keep with their name on it or to take it home. We never opened and checked tupperware. Yuck! We just pitched them. Good for Ted!!!

I had to laugh reading your previous post. I love all the California city names that they make up and the fact that they make people believe the state is the size of, say, Rhode Island. I remember one episode where they were in Modesto. At least the name was right but we don't have hills that close. Drives me crazy! If Simon Baker says it's so, though, I'm not going to disagree!!!