Thursday, July 16, 2009

It's Cobbler Time!


When I went grocery shopping last week, I found blackberries were on sale, so I brought home a large container and baked up some cobbler over the weekend. (Isn't that potholder cute? My friend Eileen made it for me a couple years ago!) Want the recipe? It will work with any type of berries--probably diced up fresh peaches too! Here you go:

FRUIT COBBLER

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 to 1-1/2 cups of sugar (depending on sweetness of fruit)
1/2 cup milk
1 heaping cup of flour
1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons of baking powder
2 to 3 cups of berries (or other soft fruit)
1 cup cold water

Preheat oven to 350-375 degrees.

In a medium bowl, cream butter with half the sugar. Set aside remaining sugar, berries, and water. Add the rest of the ingredients to the creamed butter/sugar mixture and fold in well. Drop batter by spoonfuls into ungreased 8" square pan (I used a rectangular glass pan and it worked fine).

Spread berries/fruit over dough. Sprinkle with reserved sugar, and pour water over the top.

Bake for 45 to 60 minutes. Dough should be brown and slightly crisp. Eat. Enjoy! (It's really, really yummy topped with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream!)

10 comments:

Cheryl said...

Yum, yum, yummmy!! Thanks for the recipe. I'll be making a cobler this weekend!! My family thanks you too!

Kim said...

Thanks Kim.. just bought some blueberries on sale.. this looks yummy!

Orcsmom said...

And we didn't get to taste the cobbler at class tonight because??????????????????? J/K!

Pam

Lorraine said...

what you didn't take any to your class???? It looks yummy...and I think two scoops of icecream would be even nicer than one....blackberries.....love them...they are of course classed as a weed here!! we had them growing in some of our paddocks on the farm when we were kids...many happy hours spent picking them.....one for the bucket...one for me....LOL....dodging snakes and the thorns....!

Shirley--Knot-y Embroidery Lady said...

Boy this looks like my kind of recipe i.e. heaping cup of .... I am going to try it with the next berry or fruit that crosses my path.

You looked very pretty in the blue that you had on today. Sorry I was heading out when you were coming into our favourite QS. My chauffeur got to meet you, which was very nice and charming.

Hugs!

cockermom said...

Yum! I planted blackberry bushes last year, of course there won't be any berries for a couple of year till they mature...arrgh! Hubby is the official berry monitor!

paulette said...

I am going to try this recipe-sounds yummy! Do you have a recipe for Berry/Apple/any fruit crisp (using rolled oats)? If not, I will post one on my blog today as that is what my family loves. BUT maybe they will want to switch after tasting your cobbler!!! Our blackberry bushes are loaded with berries this year but aren't ripe until the middle of August. I love all berries but blackberries especially-they're free!!! Thanks againe!
Paulette

Mary said...

Yum! I love cobbler. I used to have berries in my yard but no longer. That's okay - I can get nice ones at the store in the amount I need. I'm thinking peach does sound good, or cherry, or ....

Tudy said...

Sounds great, I may make one of some kind this weekend.

strawberrycream39 said...

Mmmmm! I wish I had some right now! Looks delicious. Thanks for the recipe!