Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Husbands and Other Stuff


One of my blog friends, Synthia, sent this to me--it cracks me up. With Hubby not working, I have to wonder how long it will take before he becomes one of these guys! He's actually kept pretty busy so far. Today he spent a good part of the day hanging around the Sears appliance department.

Let me ask you this: Do you have a refrigerator you love or hate? Ours has been having issues for awhile now. Years, really, but the issues have become more critical in the last couple weeks, and we feel it's time to replace it before it quits altogether. Here's our quandry, though. The one we have now is a side-by-side with an ice and water dispenser in the door. The side-by-side is a bit of a problem because there's a wall on one side that prevents the freezer door from opening fully. We love the convenience of the ice and water dispenser, so we were thinking ideally we'd like something with an ice and water dispenser in the door but with the freezer either on the top or bottom. Unfortunately, there seem to be few models out there that meet this criteria and the one or two I found had really poor reviews. Then we thought we'd forego the dispenser, but the popular thing these days seems to be a bottom freezer, and Hubby--because of his muscular dystrophy--has a hard time bending and straightening up. So it looks like we're looking at another side-by-side. Do you have an opinion on any particular brand, one way or another? And, by the way, we're looking at a mid-price range.

Remember Dianne won the giveaway of the Quilter's Kitchen book the other day and I said I'd have to figure out where I'd put it for safekeeping? Well, I was only half joking. I knew the book was here last week but I hadn't seen it for several days. Over the weekend I kept an eye open for the book and sporadically checked here and there, but no luck. By this morning, I was becoming a little more concerned, so I spent a good 20 minutes looking in every place I could think of--still no book. I was half way resigned to just packaging up my copy of the book and sending it on to Dianne; I knew that eventually the other copy would turn up. I'd given up the search and was taking a bath when it occurred to me to wonder whether Hubby had done something with it. Sure nuf! I found it in the garage on one of his tables along with a couple westerns I'd bought him and a cookie cookbook. I guess he's really taking his weekday cooking duties seriously! Dianne, if you're reading this, I'll get the book in the mail tomorrow. (And if you're NOT reading this? I'll probably STILL get the book in the mail tomorrow! 'Cause I'm responsible that way!)

Hubby's getting out of cooking most of this week, so he won't be needing the cookbook anyway. Tonight was the embroidery class, tomorrow night will likely be spent at Sears and any other appliance store that seems promising, and Wednesday night is another quilt class. By the way, I WAS the cool kid tonight with my snazzy new binder cover! A few of the ladies read my blog, so they knew what was coming. And I'm afraid I gave our teacher a hard time about the long, long list of things we were required to bring, but she's actually a good friend and took the razzing well, although she DID give us a bit of homework to complete before the next class in May. Just as long as there are no tests, I'll be happy! Oh, and treats. Yep, as long as she keeps bringing us treats, I'll be happy!

Well, it's WAAAAY past my bedtime, so I'll say goodnight. Thanks for stopping in to visit!

12 comments:

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

I can't tell you how fervently I think bad thoughts about my refrigerator and wish it to up and die. But it won't. And until it does, I simply cannot justify even considering the purchase of a new one. And I know just what I want, too. And it is expensive. If you, by chance, have a voodoo of a refrigerator and want to stick pins into it (do I see a pincushion project in the making?), please do . . . .

Shirley--Knot-y Embroidery Lady said...

You were the coolest kid in class with your fancy, dancy binder cover. A+
AND there will be NO Tests, repeat NO Tests.
Hugs

Paula, the quilter said...

My hubby has a hard time bending too but because of a really bad back. When we bought a new fridge, we figured that he would not be getting into the freezer that much, after all we had an upright freezer in the basement. So we bought a freezer on the bottom with an ice maker (not in the door). Having all the shelves in the fridge at a height that he can access has been a lifesaver for him. We have an Amana.

debijeanm said...

20 years ago we bought a Kitchen Aid stand-alone refrigerator and a matching freezer. The plastic compartments (like for the butter) inside the frig have oxidized and are breaking apart but other than that it's still the best frig we've ever had. I would love to get another just like it but they don't make the frig-only option anymore. Sigh.

shauna said...

Our side by side fridge died two years ago and we bought a freezer on the bottom style. I LOVE it. I had some of the same concerns but find that I open the fridge about twenty times more a day than the freezer and the storage space in the fridge.. wow it's just great. It's the only kind we'll ever have except next time I want to upgrade to the style with two doors on top.

Suzanne Kistler said...

We have a black Frigidaire side by side. We've had it for 8 years (has it been that long?!!) and the only thing that has gone "wrong" with it was that the paddle to dispense water broke. (I had 3 teenaged boys at home at the time.) The piece was easily replaced, and I never think about the refrigerator at all...which is a very good thing!!

Good luck finding a well-built unit that serves your purposes. And be sure to check local independent dealers - sometimes they have great deals on scratch & dent items that "box stores" don't offer. The scratches aren't always visible...

Orcsmom said...

Teacher's Pet!!!! Just kidding. I can't wait until next class, last night was a blast! We need to keep Gran on her toes, so more harrassing is a must for next class!

Pam

dianne said...

i AM reading this ... and it is pretty doggone funny! men ... sheesh ... i hope you at least got a couple of cookies (from the cookie cookbook)out of the deal ...... i have a sears side by side because the regular-door(ed) fridge didn't fit in my space ... i don't think i ever did get the one veggie bin totally clean because it wouldn't slide out all the way ... but the freezer part of my side by side won't hold a turkey - it's too skinny (the freezer, not the turkey)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I am loving the men sitting on the bench. I identify with them ;-)

Sinta Renee said...

Can't wait to see the finished (or semi-finished) embroidery project. I need a class like that! I am just a rookie at the embroidery and a bit handicapped at it, being left handed. It has been my goal to tackle the embroidery this year!

GeeGee said...

I have a side by side which I really like, but my daughter had a partial wall to deal with so she chose one with the freezer on top, ice and water dispenser in the door complete with a water filter built in. She really loves it and the children can get their own ice and water. How cool is that?

Anonymous said...

I love the picture of the men sitting on the bench. In fact, I had to print it out to share with my husband cuz I ask him that every day.
Diane in Alaska