Monday, February 18, 2008

Dang Tired!


On this, the last day of my time off from work, I got up at 8-ish and started cleaning house and decorating. Well, okay, you're right--first I had my coffee and messed around on the internet, read my emails and a couple blogs, and ordered some fabric I thought I really HAD TO HAVE. But after that, I really did get down to work.

When I decorate, I make a heck of a mess. For a good part of the day, every surface in the house is covered with stuff that's coming down and stuff that's going up. Christmas takes me several days; at least spring only takes one!

Here's a kind of "before" photo. Actually, the table was piled much higher than this at one time, but by the time it occurred to me to take a photo, this is what it looked like. Even my husband asked, "Why are you taking a picture of that mess?!" Ah, he forgets about the blog!


And here's an "after" photo. Better, isn't it?


I wanted to share this little idea with you. I found these little cans at the dollar store, in the wedding stuff, packaged three to a pack. I added some florist's foam and some small silk tulips, daffodils, and a couple other things.


Then I hung them from the pegs on this coat rack. I don't much like the wallpaper on that wall, but I haven't gotten around to getting rid of it yet. Still, I think it turned out kind of cute!


I did the same thing with a tea cup.


Oh, yes, the carrots. See a bunch stuck up on the clock in the upper left corner? They look cuter in person, I think, but you get the idea.


Then I put the last three carrots in a carved wooden basket/bowl. There's lots of stuff you can do with these! I swear the carrots are a lot better than last year's Easter craft experience when I tried out a couple of Martha Stewart's ideas. (You can read about that HERE.)


Around 5 p.m. or so, I was about ready to drop, but my sweet husband got me an iced latte from Starbucks and I found a little more energy to keep going. AND he was kind enough to go out and pick up sandwiches, because at that point, I couldn't even FIND the stove. Now it's 10 p.m. and my house is decorated and reasonably clean. Ah, just in time to get ready for bed so I can get up at the crack of dawn (7 a.m.-ish) and go to work tomorrow. The party's over. But at least it's only a four day work week, and then the party can begin again!

7 comments:

Three Birds Inspired said...

I am inspired! I will wait until the weekend but I am going to drag out my Spring pretties. And you are so correct...decorating is exhausting!!

Unknown said...

Yes, theat is really cute. Lke the idea of the flowers in the little buckets. I presume they are hung in the living room

Had you made that quilt with the cat? Seems I remember that from a couple years ago. Good Job, well done. Wish I could come and help mess it up for you. LOL

julieQ said...

Wow! You are ready. Your decorations are just lovely. The mess is worth it!

Cheryl said...

Way to bring Spring on. Love all the decorating..your hard work paid off! Hmmm, now where are my Spring boxes??!

debijeanm said...

How wonderful! Can I come over and play?

I'm making relief sounds that I'm not the only holiday decoration fanatic around. Do you pack the regular stuff into the boxes the Easter stuff was in for the season?

You make me want to finish my spring quilts and Easter sampler. Thanks for the inspiration (if not the time.)

Pam said...

The house looks great. Very impressive - I'm not even sure when Easter is this year and here you are all ready decorated up. I guess Easter must be soon??

Nan said...

Love your decorations, as usual. I think you should go to work as an interior decorator - you have so many wonderfully creative ideas!