Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Treasure!

I've been doing some spring cleaning and summer decorating lately, so I haven't had very much time for sewing.  The other day, though, I was going through sewing withdrawals and needing a little break, so I pulled out a handful of red and white half square triangles that were left over from another project.  They all had the same cream with a small blue dot background fabric, so I went hunting in my rather large scrap drawer to see if I could find a scrap of that fabric large enough to make something with.  Sure enough, I found a couple small pieces and I ended up with this summer time mug mat--


But the really fun thing is that when I was rummaging through my scrap drawer, I found this bag of red, white, and blue fabrics leftover from an earlier project--treasure!


Wouldn't these scraps be excellent for this month's Schnibbles pattern, Dulcinea?  If this isn't enough, I'm sure I have more fat quarters in my stash I can add to these scraps--and probably more scraps in the scrap drawer, for that matter; or I can make a smaller quilt which probably wouldn't be a bad idea either!


I thought I'd take a couple photos of the summer decorating I've done in my kitchen; I ordered a lighted garland to go across the top of the hutch, but it hasn't come yet.



It's hard to believe that June is here already, isn't it?  I wanted to put out my red, white, and blue things before Memorial Day but I never got around to it.  At least I'll be ready for Flag Day . . . I think!

9 comments:

JoAnne said...

I think that bag full of fun Minick and Simpson would be perfect for Dulcinea. I have been considering using some similar fabric.

Aunt 'Reen said...

I love that little Mug Rug!
Your kitchen looks beautiful all decorated for summer! Great patriotic theme.

Kim said...

Great idea to put out the red, white, and blue now! didn't you have a cute watermelon table runner? (I've been eying those for a while now, but haven't made one yet!)

Me and My Stitches said...

Glad you were able to get in a little sewing time! Love all things patriotic - I really need to make a patriotic table topper for the "season"!

Jacqueline said...

Your home looks fresh and inviting. I love red, white and blue. I got my "stuff" out this week too.

Glad to see I am not the only one with scraps that never seem to end.

Anonymous said...

When I make a quilt or a table runner or any project, I make the exact number of squares needed. I'm always amazed that you pull out "extra" blocks or half-square triangles! I love your mug rug -- I love all the mug rugs you make from leftovers. So creative! And I love your decorating too! Florence

Diane said...

Your kitchen is adorable. Do you have a source for where to purchase the quilt hanging rack in the corner by the hutch? I really like that and it's great that it holds multiple quilts! Thanks!

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Love your decorating! The star mug rug is adorable!

Sinta Renee said...

I love your little mug rug... that turned out so cute... I want one! I will be looking through my stash to see if there is any treasures there! I start putting out the banners and decorating red white and blue starting Memorial Day also. But I don't have enough patriotic quilts... good idea for Dulcinea!